Author Topic: Gustavo Dudamel  (Read 9454 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Gustavo Dudamel
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 03:46:49 AM »
Wow, that's pretty amazing that Dudamel has impressed the L.A. crowd enough to be their new music director. I guess they'll keep that "young and dynamic" tradition going. I think he likes Mahler, so that's good. I hope he programs the occassional Latin American work.

Barry

Offline chris

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 01:55:17 PM »
Operashare has an M1 with Dudamel up and the recent Chicago performance will be broadcast in June.   

Let's just say, he tinkers a lot.

Offline Roland Flessner

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2007, 04:38:11 AM »
I heard Dudamel conduct M1 with the CSO a couple weeks ago. He made numerous tempo changes not indicated in the score. For example, he started the Scherzo quite slowly and shifted to a more mainstream tempo after a few bars. When Mahler wants a tempo change, he tells you explicitly. That kind of meddling drives me nuts, though I do try to keep an open mind.

On the plus side, he's a born leader and the CSO played its heart out. When it was over many in the normally staid Chicago audience leapt to their feet. Seeing these people get excited about anything is heartwarming.

Also on the program was a piece by Venezuelan composer Evencio Castellanos. It was brilliant, lively and colorful, and deserves to be widely heard. Not a note of this man's music is available on a commercial recording in the US; perhaps Dudamel will record it in LA.

After I hear a piece live I often spend a few weeks listening to the CDs I own or, of course, buy a few more. A few comments:

Abbado/CSO: I'm not a big Abbado fan, and the engineering on some of his DG/CSO recordings can be problematic, but this one is a winner. The conductor is involved and attentive, the orchestra is at its best, and the sound is excellent. Note how vividly characterized is the klezmer music in the funeral march.

Ancerl/Czech Philharmonic: This one is always a treat. The precision of the strings is just outstanding (try the beginning of the Scherzo), the woodwinds ooze character with their (now unfashionable) vibrato, and the x-ray clarity of the recording is astonishing.

Mackerras/RLPO: Excellent on all counts, though I tried this early in my current traversal and need to listen to it again.

Tennstedt/LPO: One of Tennstedt's better recordings, a good mix of spontaneity and a tighter performance than usual. The funeral march is one of the most evocative I've heard. Tennstedt also recorded a First with the CSO but I don't know if it ever appeared on CD.

I'm still getting around to Giulini/CSO and Leinsdorf/BSO.

Cheers!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk