Author Topic: Kaplan's new Mahler 2 chamber arrangement  (Read 9560 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Kaplan's new Mahler 2 chamber arrangement
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 09:41:48 AM »
Here's what I find a tad ironic: all of the 'big' recordings of M2 from Vienna have been made in the Musikverein, which is a rectangular, shoe-box shaped hall. As a result, the stage ends up rather crammed for works that require a large chorus. That's not to the mention the relatively weak and 'wheezy' sounding organ in the room (Kaplan's VPO M2 had the organ from Berlin's Philharmonie dubbed in). Large works recorded in the Musikverein often times sound rather 'boxy' and somewhat muddled (Abbado's "Gurrelieder" comes to mind).

In contrast to that, the Wiener Konzerthaus is pretty much ideal for works that require lots of instruments, large chorus and a pipe organ. Bernstein's Vienna M8 that is out on dvd was recorded there (1975). Better still, is the recording that Decca made of Janacek's "Glagolitic" Mass in the Konzerthaus, with the VPO conducted by Chailly. The organ sounds fabulous, as does the choral work (since they're not all cramped up in the back). Yet, Kaplan's reduction is being recorded in that bigger hall. It might sound great if the reduction itself isn't a hindrance. Keep in mind that Avie makes very good sounding recordings. 

Offline techniquest

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 06:16:32 PM »
It's now available to hear on Spotify - you can draw your own conclusions over the sound as a whole (I liked it); but tell me, how is it possible for the tam-tams to mess it up at the very end? It's not difficult - the score is very clear, but here it is completely mis-timed and even leaves out the final hit. I wouldn't expect this from a major recording by one of the leading interpreters of Mahler's Resurrection symphony. I don't see this as a re-write of the part, but clearly as an error.
Thoughts?

Offline David Boxwell

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 08:25:50 PM »
Does this sort of thing make Mahler insufficiently "Special Event"?  Does it contribute to the critique that there's "too much Mahler" being performed (at the expense of his contemporaries, as Leon Botstein has observed)?

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 06:01:45 AM »
An easy observation for Botstein to make, but who would he suggest should get more attention? Zemlinsky? James Conlon has pretty much recorded ALL Zemlinsky. Berg? Berg is great, but he just wasn't all that prolific. Weinberg is getting recorded by Naxos now (I think he came a bit later). When record labels DO record other composers of that period, the buying public just isn't all that interested.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk