Author Topic: Single Disc M9s  (Read 9337 times)

Offline John Kim

Re: Single Disc M9s
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009, 05:15:47 PM »
How about Gunther Herbig/Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Saarbrucken/Berlin Classics M9th (on a single disc)?

It's pretty darn good, as good as his M6th.

John,
It's strange that nobody has mentioned Herbig's recording for it is, IMO, a very fine and solid M9th. It has a sort of Haitink stamp all over it - thoughtfull and somber interpretation, a fine balance that emphasizes well blended sound over razor sharp details, good tempos and tempo relationships, and a beautiful recording quality. Note that Herbig does provide energy and passion such as in major climaxes in I. and his tempos in the middle movts are better, i.e., more leisurely in II. and faster in III. Timings are,

I. 27'22''
II. 16'57''
III. 12'11''
IV. 23'24''

John,

Offline Dave H

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 01:21:56 AM »
I find Gielen I (Intercord) to be woefully under-characterized and not terribly well played.

Dave H

Offline John Kim

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 05:56:31 AM »
I find Gielen I (Intercord) to be woefully under-characterized and not terribly well played.

Dave H
That's correct.

Gielen didn't seem to have a good grasp of the music when this recording was made. It's mostly stop-and-go type of conducting and the orchestra didn't respond well either. Even the great tam tam is omitted at the major climax of I. The middle movts fare better but cannot compensate for what has been compromised in the outer movts. The new recording is much better, but oddly enough it is hampered by shallow, two dimensional sound which tends to mitigate many details.  And yes, the tam tam is quite prominent this time.

John,

Offline wagnerlover

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 03:05:34 PM »
Has anyone heard Barshai/Moscow Radio Orchestra M9 (it's a single disc)?  Any opinions?

Thanks. db

Offline John Kim

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 06:18:29 PM »
Has anyone heard Barshai/Moscow Radio Orchestra M9 (it's a single disc)?  Any opinions?

Thanks. db
I'd say, "Nahhhhh..."

I.E., it's not very good :-\

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2009, 04:19:18 PM »
Let's not forget,

Neumann/CPO/Exton
Ashkenazy/CPO/Exton

the latter being one of the best played versions (along with Ozawa and Dohnanyi).

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk