Author Topic: Chung/SPO/DG M1st - review  (Read 11422 times)

Offline John Kim

Re: Chung/SPO/DG M1st - review
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 09:21:21 PM »
I listened to the December 2011 concert of Chung/Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra Mahler Ninth Symphony.

It's marvelous!!

Beautifully balanced, masterly paced and phrased with poise and much ardor, this is a stunner! The rich and deep sound of the orchestra is perfectly fit to the music.

This concert is the best I've ever heard in recent years.

It's somewhat similar to de Waart/SFSO concert in the early 80s but it's more emotionally engaged and more flexible in tempo and dynamics.

Based on this concert and the M1st recording they made I can only say SPO is truly a world class orchestra and Mr. Chung has done a great job in Seoul.

John,

Offline brunumb

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 12:32:51 AM »
Salonen in his LA recording added a bass drum to the last five notes of that timpani passage, producing quite a different effect.

And somewhat spoiling what was for me an excellent recording otherwise.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 07:04:50 PM »
"And somewhat spoiling what was for me an excellent recording otherwise"

It doesn't spoil it for me at all. On the contrary, it addresses what I perceive to be, quite frankly, a slight 'shortcoming' in Mahler's orchestration at that particular spot. Since no extra brass are added on the last three chords, there's nothing to make those final chords stand out from the previous measures. The bass drum gives them a bit more 'final' impetus, in feeling.

The same sort of problem exists at the very end of M2 and M8. If the second timpanist doesn't make a massive crescendo on the final chord of M2, that final chord sounds like it's just sitting there doing nothing - static, in other words. Pretty much the same thing can happen at the end of M8, which is why some conductors make a big crescendo with the bass drum - or even add a gong roll (Segerstam).  
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 08:38:31 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline Constantin

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 07:09:46 PM »
Since I have read this topic I have watched/heard several videos of MW Chung . there is a wonderful M4 performance with the Tokyo philharmonic . the final is my ideal version . the soprano is incredible :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUhIZFoAgGE&feature=related

I really hope MWC will record much Mahler in the future.

Yes, this is an extremely joyful performance of M4's finale.  Does anyone at the board know if these Chung recordings will ever be available in America?
Und ruh' in einem stillen Gebiet

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk