Author Topic: Haitink M4 in Chicago  (Read 6370 times)

Offline Roland Flessner

Haitink M4 in Chicago
« on: October 24, 2011, 02:33:55 AM »
Last Thursday I heard Haitink conduct M4 with the CSO. He used a slowish tempo in the first movement, and I thought that tenuto phrasing dulled the irreverent aspects of the music. Similarly, the scherzo didn't really come to life, though we know that Haitink does not tend to emphasize the demonic in Mahler. Within these limits, the orchestra charactized this music nicely.

To my ears, things improved in the last two movements. The slow movement was gorgeously done, and the finale was just as good, with Kara Ek in beautiful voice.

Frank Peter Zimmermann was to have played the Berg Violin Concerto, but cancelled due to illness. Haitink led the Schubert Fifth instead, in a soft-focus reading that favored a smoothly Romantic rather than a more sharply etched Classical view of the score.

I do not know if a CSO Resound issue of the Mahler is planned.

Offline waderice

Re: Haitink M4 in Chicago
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 09:47:01 AM »

It would make sense for them to make a CSO Resound issue of the Fourth, as M1, M2, M3, and M6 have already been issued.  I would presume that the CSO Resound series would aim to eventually have a Mahler symphony cycle to compete with that of Tilson Thomas/San Francisco.  If they do, I would think that the performances in the CSO cycle would have overall better quality, particularly from the conducting aspect, though this remains to be seen.

Wade
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 01:58:38 PM by waderice »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 04:10:42 PM »

It would make sense for them to make a CSO Resound issue of the Fourth, as M1, M2, M3, and M6 have already been issued.  I would presume that the CSO Resound series would aim to eventually have a Mahler symphony cycle to compete with that of Tilson Thomas/San Francisco.  If they do, I would think that the performances in the CSO cycle would have overall better quality, particularly from the conducting aspect, though this remains to be seen.

Wade
Haitink has already made a few accounts of M4th - three with RCO, one with BPO. Thus, I'd rather like to see his recent concert  M9th with CSO make into SACD instead.

John,

Offline chris

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 08:23:44 PM »

Haitink has already made a few accounts of M4th - three with RCO, one with BPO. Thus, I'd rather like to see his recent concert  M9th with CSO make into SACD instead.

John,

Did you see it was posted on their web player?     

http://cso.org/ListenAndWatch/Details.aspx?id=17718

If you have a program the capture it, it's a 256k MP3 - not SACD by a longshot, but better than many streams.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 10:40:08 PM »

John,

If you have a program the capture it, it's a 256k MP3 - not SACD by a longshot, but better than many streams.
I clicked the play button but it didn't work.

So, it looks like they decided NOT to release the performance on CD, ah?

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 07:38:41 PM »

John,

Chris, did you capture it by any chance? I'm listening first to the Haydn symphony and it sounds great.

--Todd

Offline chris

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 02:37:07 PM »

Chris, did you capture it by any chance? I'm listening first to the Haydn symphony and it sounds great.

--Todd

I did.  I'm going to attempt to get it on megaupload or an equivalent in the next day or two.   

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 06:24:57 PM »
It's quite simple to capture this.  I use the Firefox browser and a free plug-in called DownloadHelper.  Any time there is a downloadable stream (whether video or audio) on a webpage, DownloadHelper will display an indicator as part of its icon and allow you to simply click and download the stream.  I used this method to download and watch much of the LGO Mahler-fest.  It works on YouTube too. 
Scott

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk