Author Topic: Harding/VPO M10 (Cooke) on the way from DG?  (Read 6012 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Harding/VPO M10 (Cooke) on the way from DG?
« on: December 02, 2007, 06:25:04 PM »
According to Vincent Mouret's site, there's going to be a Daniel Harding/Vienna Phil. M10 coming from DG in '08. Maybe it'll just be a digital download, which ain't a bad thing.

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: Harding/VPO M10 (Cooke) on the way from DG?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 06:43:58 PM »
Although I desire other versions than Cooke, I'm all for more M10's...thats for certain!

Thanks for this news.  I did enjoy a broadcast of Hardings' M9 a ways back.

--Leo
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 08:29:10 PM by Leo K »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 10:02:34 PM »
Good! I liked Harding's M10 with FRSO broadcast several years ago. Cogent, well structured, warm but appropriately dynamic.

But I thought DG was going to release Harding's M9th with Stattskapell Dresden Orch.??

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 05:49:54 AM »
I have a pirated burn-job of Harding's Vienna M10, and it's really very good. However, since it's the standard Cooke edition, it really doesn't sound much different than Rattle's two efforts - especially since they both favor quicker tempi in the faster bits. Funny thing, but the VPO actually sound better on the somewhat thinned-out Cooke version of M10, than they usually do in the thickly scored 9th symphony. They always seem to get somewhat bogged down in lots of thickness of sound - and thus, thick textures - in the 9th symphony.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 06:26:33 PM »
Since VPO had never recorded M10th before this recording and I am very curious how they will sound in this music, I'd definitely try it when it comes out.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 09:02:24 AM »
I'm quite impressed with the pirate that I have of this. The two scherzos are terrific, and the VPO play their collective butts off. But like Rattle and Gielen, Harding strikes me as being a bit too slow with all of the string dominated, Merchant-Ivory soundtrack music that happens in the back half of the fifth movement. That music really needs to move, and sound more impassioned. But beyond that, this performance is really good.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 04:31:36 PM »
I'm quite impressed with the pirate that I have of this. The two scherzos are terrific, and the VPO play their collective butts off. But like Rattle and Gielen, Harding strikes me as being a bit too slow with all of the string dominated, Merchant-Ivory soundtrack music that happens in the back half of the fifth movement. That music really needs to move, and sound more impassioned. But beyond that, this performance is really good.
Barry,

I cannot agree with more on the fifth movt. :D I really want the second half of the movt. move rather swiftly. This is why I adore Litton/DSO/Delos so much, albeit it's Carpenter's edition. OTOH, Levine's Philadelphia recording nearly killed the music with his sloooooooow tempo.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 05:50:00 AM »
I think it's big mistake to think that all of that string dominated music - the last 15 minutes of the symphony - is suddenly a redux of Mahler 9. If anything, I believe that Mahler is expressing almost the exact opposite. The symphony isn't about Alma, or even a portrait of Alma (bleeeechhh!). Instead, it's about Mahler! - Mahler's impassioned feelings for Alma, and Mahler's desire to live on. It's pretty much the exact same point that folks have made for years about the Adagietto to M5.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 06:13:33 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 03:13:51 PM »
I think it's big mistake to think that all of that string dominated music - the last 15 minutes of the symphony - is suddenly a redux of Mahler 9. If anything, I believe that Mahler is expressing almost the exact opposite. The symphony isn't about Alma, or even a portrait of Alma (bleeeechhh!). Instead, it's about Mahler! - Mahler's impassioned feelings for Alma, and Mahler's desire to live on. It's pretty much the exact same point that folks have made for years about the Adagietto to M5.

I couldn't agree more on this.

--Todd

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 08:31:29 PM »
Barry,

I cannot agree with more on the fifth movt. :D I really want the second half of the movt. move rather swiftly. This is why I adore Litton/DSO/Delos so much, albeit it's Carpenter's edition. OTOH, Levine's Philadelphia recording nearly killed the music with his sloooooooow tempo.

John,

I agree entirely regarding Litton and Levine.  However, I don't remember feeling that Gielen is that slow in the final movement.  IIRC, he's a good three minutes faster than Rattle/Berlin.  Regardless, I absolutely love the finale in Litton/Carpenter's hands. 
Scott

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk