Author Topic: Mahler by Neumann.  (Read 6381 times)

Offline oscar

Mahler by Neumann.
« on: March 02, 2008, 01:12:14 PM »
Seeking advice on the Mahler recordings conducted by Vaclav Neumann.  There is a complete set on Supraphon, and then separate issues on the Exton label.

Which are the ones to get ?

thanks,

Oscar.

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Mahler by Neumann.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 03:17:54 PM »
Getting the box may be cheaper in the long run. However, the three disc set of symphonies 3 & 8 is definitely is one of the highlights of his cycle. You can find his earlier Leipzig recordings of M5, M6, and M9 separately at good prices, and those really almost as good. The later Exton ones are going to cost you a good chunk of change. The sound will be better on those, but not always the performances themselves. That said, I would definitely rather have his later M6, as there's the issue of "woody" sounding hammerstrokes vs. metallic "ping"s. Avoid the Canyon remake (Exton) of M3.

If you're going to go the expensive route, I think that you should not go Neumann all the way, and do this instead (all Czech Phil.):

M1 - Kobayashi

M2 - Neumann or Kobayashi

M3 - Kobayashi

M4 - Macal (definitely!)

M5 - Kobayashi

M6 - Neumann (the Canyon remake, if available from Exton), otherwise Macal

M7 - Macal (definitely!)

M8 - Neumann (get it in the three disc set with the 3rd)

M9 - Macal

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 03:20:14 PM »
Thats an excellant CPO cycle right there.  That'll do 'er.

--Todd

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 04:08:18 PM »
But wait, don't forget Kobayashi's equally excellent M7th with CPO :)

Next is Macal's upcoming M8th!

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 05:45:22 AM »
"Next is Macal's upcoming M8th!"

For real, are you just surmising? If it's for real, do you have a list of the cast?

Barry

Offline John Kim

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 05:56:32 AM »
Barry,

I don't know it yet ... Just surmised... ;D But it sure will show up at www.hmv.co.jp soon.

John,

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 08:42:26 PM »
I'll use Barry's list as the basis for mine:

M1 - Kobayashi (top tier level M1 for me)

M2 - Kobayashi

M3 - Neumann (Supraphone, avoid the Canyon remake at all costs), Kobayashi is good too

M4 - Macal (top tier level M4 for me)

M5 - None -- and I despise Neumann's LGO one. 

M6 - Neumann (Canyon/Exton one, although even the earlier Supraphone one is enjoyable), Macal a close second

M7 - Macal (top tier level M7 for me)

M8 - Neumann (top tier level M8 for me)

M9 - ANCERL (top tier level M9 for me)

Scott

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 05:55:05 AM »
.   .   .  you didn't like the Kobayashi/CPO M5? I thought it was pretty good (and I still own it).

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 05:18:20 PM »
The Macal M5 is one of the best sounding M5's I've heard (haven't heard Kobayashi's yet)...and the performance is actually really good...Bertini on EMI is my favorite M5 at this moment.

--Todd

Offline John Kim

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 05:54:59 PM »
.   .   .  you didn't like the Kobayashi/CPO M5? I thought it was pretty good (and I still own it).
That's right. This Kobayashi-CPO M5th is a real sleeper :o Although the first movt is a bit faster than I like (under 12 min.) and Kobayashi seems to be racing through most of the movt. the rest of the symphony gets a great treat - expansive, volatile, wild, beautiful, and superbly controlled. The finale is one of the best I've ever heard with a nice retardando in the coda adding grandeur and monumentality that most other conductors seem to content to keep under their sleeves.

Great playing and sound.

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 08:49:04 PM »
Since everybody on the board has been silent for days, I'll break the silence here >:(

Another gem by CPO/Exton is Ashekenazy's beautifully conducted and recorded M9th that was once available on both regular CD and SACD. The playing is as streamlined and well coordinated and balanced as one can imagine, and all the details come forward so vividly and naturally that the performance may actually sound somewhat pedestrian (some people felt so). But I always come back to this recording and always get some new pleasure each time I listen.

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk