Author Topic: clarification please - Rattle/EMI Sibelius and Mahler box sets  (Read 3946 times)

Offline John Kim

The March/April issue of ARG magazine gave a rave review for the Rattle/CBSO/EMI Sibelius symphony box set. Above all, the critics was very happy about the sound quality which he said had been digitally remastered by the EMI engineers. According to his description this one is the best sounding Sibelius cycle ever committed to silver discs.

What about the Mahler box set? Is the sound of that set also remastered? Can anyone clarify this?

Thanks.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

Re: clarification please - Rattle/EMI Sibelius and Mahler box sets
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 09:21:01 PM »
I no longer have the Mahler box, as I gave it to a fellow co-worker. While I did have it, it didn't sound particularly different or better to my ears. There's no indication on the box that it was remastered in any way. It's only natural that  the London critics are going to tout these boxes - they're fighting for the very survival of EMI Classics. But as for Rattle's Sibelius cycle, the English critics are completely out of their minds, as there are many, many far better complete cycles. But given how generally disappointing Colin Davis' LSO Sibelius cycle was, I guess I can't blame them too much. I thought that Rattle's Birmingham remake of Sibelius 5 was positively atrocious, and that his earlier Philharmonia one was far, far better. None of them are top drawer in my book. The decision not to include the recent Berlin remake of M9 strikes me as completely bizarre, especially given just how uncompetitive the Vienna one is.

Barry
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 08:00:02 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline sbugala

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 04:45:04 AM »
I am not a big Rattle fan, and can't speak with too much authority on too many of his recordings. However, I recently acquired his Sibelius 4th (along with the 6th, that I haven't heard yet) via a purged library copy.  It's a lot better than I expected.  But like Barry, I can't stand his Sibelius 5th. Totally over-rated.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 06:45:55 AM »
I checked out Rattle/CBSO/EMI S2, S3, S5, S7 from alocal library today. I've just finished listening to the S3rd and I am amazed by this superb recording. The orchestra may not be Boston Symphony or London Symphony, but I think Rattle's conducting got the spirit of this symphony (a.k.a. Sibelius's Pastoral) just right with apt tempos and phrasing. The sound is also wonderful.

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk