Author Topic: M10 Samale/Mazzuca - Sieghart announced!  (Read 5638 times)

Offline Freddy van Maurik

M10 Samale/Mazzuca - Sieghart announced!
« on: March 15, 2008, 08:55:26 PM »
As I kind of predicted, a recording of the S/M version of M10 by the Arnhem Philharmonic with Martin Sieghart is announced!
I for one can't wait! I attended the concert, and was very happy with the last four parts. I wasn't too pleased about Sieghart's way of dealing with the first Adagio, though.

Re: M10 Samale/Mazzuca - Sieghart announced!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 08:55:51 PM »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 10:44:17 PM »
Thanks for the heads up man!!!  ;D

--Todd

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 12:03:11 AM »
Here's a tiny image of the cover  :-*

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 04:45:01 AM »
I'll have to shell the big bucks for this!

Barry

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 03:42:31 PM »
As I kind of predicted, a recording of the S/M version of M10 by the Arnhem Philharmonic with Martin Sieghart is announced!
I for one can't wait! I attended the concert, and was very happy with the last four parts. I wasn't too pleased about Sieghart's way of dealing with the first Adagio, though.

So what did he/they do differently in the first Adagio? 
Scott

Offline John Kim

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 04:14:06 PM »
It seems too long, over 26 min. ???

John,

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 06:05:47 PM »
The first Adagio was too slow for my liking, i.e. in the opening string music. John is right, it's too long. And it seemed as though the orchestra wanted to go faster, which led to a bit of unevenness (if that is the correct word to use...)

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 04:05:59 AM »
Yeah, sure, but that's not the reason to buy this recording; the reason is to hear a completely different orchestration, and that doesn't even begin to happen until the climactic passage of the first movement - which would be at least 18 or 19 minutes into it. If it makes folks happier, just play somebody else's recording for the first movement. Better yet, just skip the first movement - we all know how it goes by now.

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 01:20:55 PM »
Yeah, sure, but that's not the reason to buy this recording; the reason is to hear a completely different orchestration, and that doesn't even begin to happen until the climactic passage of the first movement - which would be at least 18 or 19 minutes into it. If it makes folks happier, just play somebody else's recording for the first movement. Better yet, just skip the first movement - we all know how it goes by now.

Barry

Exactly...this is why I'm so excited over this release.  By the way, the orchestration of the first movement climax is outstanding, better than any other completion I've heard.  But like Barry said...you can skip the 1st movement!

-Todd

Offline John Kim

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 04:00:09 PM »
Indeed, I often skip the 1st movt. and directly go to the first scherzo when I play M10th recordings. I feel that conductors should not drag the opening movt. too much so that listeners don't get exhausted at the end of I - they have four more movts to go :-[

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk