Author Topic: PBS - Rattle M9 selections?  (Read 16364 times)

Offline chris

PBS - Rattle M9 selections?
« on: January 01, 2008, 11:50:05 PM »
I just noticed this on the local PBS station's website and thought I'd pass it along.

The broadcast is only two hours long and based on the phrasing, I'd guess the Bartok piece will be broadcast in full with only parts of Rite and M9.

Great Performances: Carnegie Hall Celebrates Berlin (W.T.)
Airs Monday, January 7 at 9:00 pm

GREAT PERFORMANCES returns to Carnegie Hall's famed stage for a celebration with the Berliner Philharmoniker. Featuring the orchestra under the baton of music director and conductor Sir Simon Rattle, "Carnegie Hall Celebrates Berlin" (w.t.) will include highlights from the Hall's two-week "Berlin in Lights" festival in November 2007. Performances include the Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra of Venezuela and Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra. The program also features conductor Sir Simon Rattle and the renowned orchestra as they perform such classics as Gustav Mahler's "Symphony No. 9" and Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring."

Offline John Kim

Re: PBS - Rattle M9 selections?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 09:06:08 PM »
I do see it scheduled on the program of my local PBS TV. But its running time is less than 2 hrs, so it might NOT include the entire M9th concert.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 10:13:01 PM »
According to the press release, it appears the whole M9 concert will be broadcast, at least thats how I read it:

http://www.thirteen.org/pressroom/pdf/gp/carnegiehall/GPCarnegieHallCelebratesBerlinRelease.pdf

--Todd

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 10:25:35 PM »
Now I'm not so sure after checking the Great Performances website:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/genre/classical_music.html

There is a wonderful video clip of the M9 though.  There is no use watching if the whole M9 isn't played, at least for me.

--Todd

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 10:36:21 PM »
Thanks. It's a wonderful video. I just hope they will air the entire M9th, not just the Finale as shown here.

John,

Offline chris

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 11:57:22 PM »
The GP site says:

GREAT PERFORMANCES returns to Carnegie Hall's famed stage for one of the festival's centerpiece events: a performance by the celebrated Berliner Philharmoniker under the baton of its acclaimed music director and conductor, Sir Simon Rattle, of Gustav Mahler's towering "Symphony No. 9.

So perhaps it is the whole symphony?   I guess we'll see in a few days.

Offline sbugala

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 05:23:58 AM »
I enjoyed the M9 snipped online, but I found it a little funny that it's almost the same place in the 4th movement from one of Bernstein's documentaries doing the M9 with the VPO!  I'm so used to Bernstein's gestures that Rattle seems a little restrained by comparison.  Still, I like bashing the guy, but it seemed pretty good judging from online.

However...the Bartok with the Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra of Venezuela seemed to be pretty freaking amazing.  I am often skeptical of the "NEXT BIG THING," but Dudamel seems like he's the real deal. 

Offline chris

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 07:19:14 PM »
However...the Bartok with the Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra of Venezuela seemed to be pretty freaking amazing.  I am often skeptical of the "NEXT BIG THING," but Dudamel seems like he's the real deal. 

I really enjoy Dudamel's M1 - there are two recordings floating around - not my "go to" recording, but I get a kick out of hearing conductors do extreme pushing and pulling with tempos and the like.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 12:57:22 AM »
The GP site says:

GREAT PERFORMANCES returns to Carnegie Hall's famed stage for one of the festival's centerpiece events: a performance by the celebrated Berliner Philharmoniker under the baton of its acclaimed music director and conductor, Sir Simon Rattle, of Gustav Mahler's towering "Symphony No. 9.

So perhaps it is the whole symphony?   I guess we'll see in a few days.

I'll certainly have my VCR ready!!!

--Todd

Offline John Kim

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 05:49:23 AM »
Can someone record the concert Video DIGITALLY? Will there be a satellite broadcast?

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 06:28:01 PM »
I hope someone can get this digitally, and maybe an audio only recording will float around the net eventually.

I'm pretty excited about this broadcast...can hardly wait!  8)

--Todd

Offline John Kim

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 04:02:08 AM »
If somebody can record the sound only from DTV which they are broadcasting along with the analogue channels, that will be nice.

I am gonna catch the 11:00 p.m. DTV....

John,

Offline sbugala

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 04:56:10 AM »
I liked the performance a lot. The camera work was very nice and instructional in seeing how everything fits together.  I didn't notice any really weird Rattle-isms, and the playing was superb. My only caveat is my local PBS station compress' the signal or something, because there was distortion in big passages. Maybe (praying) there will be a DVD. I kinda doubt it though. 

Offline John Kim

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 07:23:57 AM »
It was a superb performance, possibly the best live M9th I've seen. But the sonics were somewhat limited in its dynamic range. Oddly, the sound improved as the movements proceed; it's possible the engineers were initially experimenting with balances, volume level, etc. Overall, Rattle's conducting was even better than what I heard from his future EMI release on iTunes. The always smooth but intense BPO played brilliantly, tightly focused and refined.

I seriously doubt there will be a DVD...

John,

Offline sbugala

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 08:03:27 AM »
I may get the recording when it comes out. When is the release date again? And how does the itunes version typically compare? If it's reasonable, I may simply buy that, but I've never purchased an itune before!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk