Author Topic: On hearing Klemperer's M7 the first time  (Read 8005 times)

Offline umbernisitani

Re: On hearing Klemperer's M7 the first time
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 01:55:53 PM »
Just to point out, Klemperer actually did both the fastest and slowest versions of Mahler 2.  His Sydney one from 1950 is 67 minutes; his New Philharmonia one from 1970 takes 98.  The timings for the finale says it all:  27 for the Sydney one, 42 for the New Philharmonia one.

It seems that Klemperer's tendency to slowness never really affected him until the very last years of his life (i.e. around 1969).  His live Beethoven cycle from the 1970s on DVD was also terribly slow.  Does make it sound grand though.  I own his Mahler 7 and while I first dismissed it as akin to watching slow-drying paint, I returned to it after a friend said about his epiphanies on hearing Klemperer's M7 (and almost disregarding every other approach) and started to appreciate its detail, solidity, Klemperer's sense of long line and above all his "will".  Right now even though it's hardly my favorite M7 I still like to hear it when I'm in the mood.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 07:45:05 PM »
" Klemperer's sense of long line and above all his "will""

Good point, but the piece is about Mahler's will, not Klemperer's.

Offline umbernisitani

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 07:19:44 AM »
Let us just say that Klemperer's "will" compliments Mahler's, or if you will, vice versa.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk