Author Topic: Mahler Symphony Cycles on SACD  (Read 4722 times)

Offline waderice

Mahler Symphony Cycles on SACD
« on: June 13, 2010, 07:35:04 PM »
As of this date (June 13, 2010), to the best of my knowledge, there are three Mahler symphony cycles available on SACD.  The Tilson-Thomas, the Zinman, and the Bernstein/NYPO Sony cycle available from Japan.  Is this correct?  Are there any others about to be completed?  Of those complete, and those about to be completed, if you were to buy a complete Mahler symphony cycle on SACD, whose would you recommend buying, based on their "thus far" track record?

Thanks, Wade

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: Mahler Symphony Cycles on SACD
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 07:45:55 PM »
As of this date (June 13, 2010), to the best of my knowledge, there are three Mahler symphony cycles available on SACD.  The Tilson-Thomas, the Zinman, and the Bernstein/NYPO Sony cycle available from Japan.  Is this correct?  Are there any others about to be completed?  Of those complete, and those about to be completed, if you were to buy a complete Mahler symphony cycle on SACD, whose would you recommend buying, based on their "thus far" track record?

Thanks, Wade

I love all three of the cycles you mention...MTT, Zinman and Lenny's NYPO cycle.  

Lenny's is probably the first choice here but for a modern cycle I rate the MTT and Zinman about the same...it is really difficult to choose between these two.

Macal's cycle with the CPO on the Exton label is not a complete cycle but the releases we have sound fantastic.

Ditto the Kobayashi /CPO cycle also on Exton...it's not complete but sonically very fine.

--Todd

Offline John Kim

Re: Mahler Symphony Cycles on SACD
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 06:06:46 PM »
If some audio company like Esoteric can remaster and put Haitink/RCO/Philips & Kubelik/BRSO/DG cycles in SACD format, that would be great.

I think both sets will greatly benefit from the new remastering.

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk