Author Topic: Report-Centennial Performance of M8 in the U.S.-Philadelphia, March 10-13, 2016  (Read 5807 times)

Offline waderice

I know that all of you are anxious to know what my impressions were of the centennial performance of M8 in the U.S. as I experienced it on Sunday, March 13, 2016.  Well, let me say that it was the M8 performance of all M8's that I will remember for the rest of my life, with the possible exception of the two performances of the work in which I was a part of with the Washington National Cathedral Choral Society in 1974.

Other than having an excellent musical machine like the Philadelphia Orchestra to accompany the singers, the two choruses, the Westminster Symphonic Choir and the Choral Arts Society of Washington, DC (the latter of which served as Chorus II in these performances and as a part of my 1974 performances, plus is Chorus II in the Gergiev LSO recording), these two ensembles probably formed the battery of the two most experienced groups in the country to perform the work, with the possible exception of the CSO Chorus and Boston's Tanglewood Festival Chorus.  I wasn't all that familiar with the soloists singing the work, with the exception of Angela Meade, but they certainly did a creditable job in their parts.  The American Boychoir made up the children's chorus.

All performers, not to mention conductor Yannick Nézet-Séguin, were certainly up to their tasks.  If you listened to the on-line feed of the performance via WRTI (Philadelphia's NPR affiliate) I don't know how well balances between orchestra and singers sounded to you, but everything sounded excellent to me at my seat in the second Tier.  The organ was full, rounded, and sounded as loud and powerful as it needed to be (the Fred J. Cooper Memorial Organ in Verizon Hall is touted as the largest concert hall organ in the U.S.).  Nézet-Séguin's musical background is basically that of a choral conductor, so he certainly knew what he was doing.  He marshaled his forces through an excellent Part I, and what impressed me at rehearsal numbers 42-45 of the score was how he made the legendary Philadelphia string sections show their stuff through those sections, something you rarely hear masterfully executed in any performance of the work.  His tempi were slightly faster in some sections than I hear other conductors take the work, but everything came out crystal clear, and it couldn't have sounded better.

It was announced before the performance started that there would be an intermission of 15 minutes.  For whatever reason that was done, which I never did hear why, I thought that was a waste, and that if there was to be a break, I would have preferred something that would last no more than five minutes, as Mahler calls for between the first and second movements of M2.  What happened was that ALL of the performers exited the stage, with the exception of the nearly 30-strong American Boychoir.  Which brings me to my one other complaint - there ought to have been a larger children's chorus, at least double the number that there were, but the problem was that the stage in the Verizon Hall wasn't big enough to hold any more people.  In their one shining moment in Part II, they tried their best, despite being few in number, and the orchestra tended to drown them out.

Nézet-Séguin undertook Part II with liberal adjustments in tempi, taking good advantage of rubato and portamento at all the appropriate places.  When time came for the Chorus Mysticus, both choruses undertook the pppp dynamic level in perfect balance, with no vibrato whatsoever, making the effect all that more impressive.  As the dynamic levels increased, Nézet-Séguin took advantage of the temptation to slow the tempo down, but unlike so many other performances and recordings, the more the tempo slows down, the sound tends to weaken and lose impact.  That did NOT happen!  Dynamic levels were sustained, the offstage brass groups did a glorious job in their stations on either side of the organ cabinet, producing one of the most stupendous sounds I have ever heard.

Below is a link to the Philadelphia Inquirer's review of the concert, with some accompanying photos:

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/entertainment/20160312_Phila__Orchestra_delivers_a_mighty__Symphony_of_a_Thousand__at_Verizon_Hall.html

Wade

Offline barry guerrero

Wade, do you know of ANY plans for this event to get issued onto cd or dvd?

The 15 minute break - which really was more like a half hour - was most likely so that they could run through the Penitent Women passage in the back with a rehearsal pianist. There was a substitute for Stephanie Blythe, the first mezzo. According to Gregg Whiteside, who did the play-by-play announcing, the sub. got called just that morning!! She did a very good job (she must have performed M8 in D.C. or something). Either that, or one of the key vocalists needed a break after three nights of M8 plus a fourth Part I (my guess would be the tenor). If it helped in getting the vocalists through in one piece, then it probably wasn't a bad idea. Anthony Dean Griffey actually sounded OK - far better than he did on the MTT recording.

As could be predicted, the balances between the soloists and the orchestra/choirs changed during the broadcast. They were very upfront in Part I, almost too much so. But in Part II, most of the soloists sounded farther back. Unfortunately, the baritone and bass baritone solos were actually a bit too distant. The childrens chorus actually sounded just fine on the broadcast, which really helped. High strings came across just a tad too much. But it was such a great performance - superbly conducted! - that all these minor balance issues seemed trivial.

By the way, special recognition should go to Gregg Whiteside, who did an excellent job of improvising during the impromptu intermission. He had the guts to more or less state what the Philadelphia Orchestra really possible is: the best orchestra in America.

You talked about the Chorus Mysticus not losing power as N-S. got slower. That certainly came across on the broadcast. The effect of ever more tiers of sound getting stacked one upon another came across brilliantly. The offstage brass registered just a bit too far forward in the broadcast, but that wasn't a worry at all.

Thank you for the report and you were very fortunate to get to attend. I really wish I had made the effort now.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 10:48:21 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline waderice

Barry,

The question as to whether a recording of some kind will be issued of the broadcast (or a combination of the four performances) has everyone that was there, or who listened to the broadcast, scratching their heads if that will happen.  Over at the Facebook Mahler Forum, the one person of any note there  as far as that is concerned, Gene Gaudette, who was the producer of the Urlicht multi-CD set of the pre-war Mahler recordings, commented that he would be astonished if one were NOT issued.  He mentioned that a download website, HDtracks.com, might eventually be a source, but my own check of their Philadelphia offerings were from the Sawallisch and Eschenbach eras, and there are no offerings by Nézet-Séguin.  So thus far, that doesn't bode well for one to be issued.  As I think you mentioned in another thread here, a recording of that M8 might rest on DG's shoulders.

I happened to think - another possible glitch preventing the issuance of a recording might be the substitute for Stephanie Blythe demanding some of the royalties for any recording's issuance (and vice-versa, by and for the mezzo who was originally contracted to sing the part), though that might and could be worked out.

Your mention of the replacement for Stephanie Blythe needing a run-through for the Penitent Women passage makes sense; I never thought of that.  Do you mind if I mention that over at the Facebook Mahler Forum as the likely reason for the intermission?

It sounds like Gregg Whiteside did admirably in handling the unexpected situation.  He generally does a very good job, but every once in a while, he tends to become a bit of a "motor mouth" in some of the Sunday afternoon Philadelphia Orchestra broadcasts, and the lack of any break in the talk to allow what was said earlier to sink in, can get a bit aggravating.

One of my classical music friends of many years, not long ago went to NYC to hear Yannick and the Philadelphians do Sibelius 5th at Carnegie Hall.  Out of his many years of going to concerts (and that includes all of the ones he heard while living in Chicago), that NYC Philly Orchestra concert was the best he had ever heard.  From what I've heard in all the concerts in Philadelphia I've attended thus far, ALL of the sections of the Philadelphia Orchestra are incredibly balanced; no one section outshines or tries to outdo the other.  I think that the legend of the Philadelphia strings, famous though they are, now have to compete with the orchestra's other sections.

Wade

Offline barry guerrero

"Your mention of the replacement for Stephanie Blythe needing a run-through for the Penitent Women passage makes sense; I never thought of that.  Do you mind if I mention that over at the Facebook Mahler Forum as the likely reason for the intermission?"

Of course not. It's just speculation anyway.

Another thought: Nezet-Seguin can probably get a 'professional' recording made of Mahler 8 much cheaper in Munich (BRSO) or Montreal (his orchestra - whatever it's called). That way, he might come up with a better tenor. Johann Botha seems the ideal one these days.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 12:56:40 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline waderice

Another thought: Nezet-Seguin can probably get a 'professional' recording made of Mahler 8 much cheaper in Munich (BRSO) or Montreal (his orchestra - whatever it's called). That way, he might come up with a better tenor. Johann Botha seems the ideal one these days.

That could very well be.  His orchestra in Canada is called the "Orchestre Metropolitain".  He has been performing a lot of Bruckner with that orchestra, has recorded B3 with them, and also has an M1 with that orchestra.  With the BVRS, he has recorded Cooke M10.  And with the LPO, he has recorded DLvdE.

I take back my earlier comment about Nézet-Séguin not having any Philadelphia recording credits, with the exception of those that he recorded with DG.  There is a download at HDTracks.com by him on the Philadelphia house label of a Brahms Third and Strauss Rosenkavalier Suite.  If DG doesn't take on an issuance of the M8, that Philadelphia house label just might be the venue with which the M8 performance can be issued.  We can only hope.

Offline barry guerrero

Also, he's recorded a fabulous "Rite of Spring" with Philly for DG - among the very best "Rites" I know of.

You got two items turned around: M1 is with the BRSO, while the M10 Cooke is with his Orchestre Metro.

Offline ChrisH

Thanks for the review, Wade. Sounds like an amazing experience.

HDtracks used to have recording of Yannick doing the Mahler 5, but it doesn't appear in their listings anymore. That's too bad, it's an excellent recording.

Offline AZContrabassoon

Looks like this might become a Mahler conductor of some significance:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2016/Mar/Mahler_sy1_900143.htm

Offline waderice

Looks like this might become a Mahler conductor of some significance:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2016/Mar/Mahler_sy1_900143.htm

Other than the M8 I heard this past Sunday, I heard him do M2 last year, which to my ears, sounded quite good, but not as good as the M8 I just heard.  There is a Cooke M10 that hopefully I'll hear him conduct in a couple of months, provided he's recovered from the hernia surgery he had done on Monday following the Sunday final M8 performance.  He is scheduled to conduct M3 with the Philadelphians at the conclusion of the 2016-17 season; I've already put in an order for tickets for that.  Unfortunately, I hadn't yet moved to the Philadelphia area at the time he did M5 before becoming music director, so didn't get to hear that.

Wade
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 01:52:04 PM by waderice »

Offline Prospero

For what it is worth, I heard a younger Nezet-Seguin conduct the Mahler 8 in Montreal on June 20, 2010. There had been two performances in Ottawa before the one in  Montreal. He combined his Orchestre Metropolitain and the Ottawa Symphony with massive multiple choruses including two separate children's choruses. I can't say that I have a very nuanced critical memory except that the scale and grandeur were beyond anything I had heard before.

The only comparable orchestral concerts I recall were a Tennstedt Mahler 6 in 1983, and Esa-Pekka Solonen last week conducting the Messiaen Turangalila Symphony with the NY Philharmonic.

Tom in Vermont

Offline barry guerrero

"Tennstedt Mahler 6 in 1983, and Esa-Pekka Solonen last week conducting the Messiaen Turangalila Symphony with the NY Philharmonic."

Yes, those must have been really something as well!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk