Author Topic: M3, M4, M7 - Bernstein Sony/Japan SACD's - General Impressions  (Read 13309 times)

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
M3, M4, M7 - Bernstein Sony/Japan SACD's - General Impressions
« on: December 09, 2007, 05:19:17 PM »
One word to describe these new re-releases -- ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!  ;D  ;D  (yes, I know that was two words)

There is no sense in discussing the performances, except to say that the M3 is as close as I get to an absolute top choice in any Mahler symphony, while both the M4 and M7 are easy top tier selections of mine.   

So, is it worth paying full price + international shipping charges to get these from Japan -- Absolutely!  These releases are an absolute revelation in terms of sound.  The sound is sharp and three-dimensional, while individual instruments are distinct and well-articulated.  There is very little, if any, congestion in the tutti's and very little stridency in the sound.  The main thing that is missing is the real deep impactful bass (i.e. deep bass drums), but bass is much tighter than on the CD releases.  These are 5 channel releases, but the rear channels are used only for a small amount of ambient sound, which probably adds just a little three-dimensionality. 

I found it interesting that in the M4 finale, Reri Grist's voice sounds like it is anchored in the center channel, but every bit of it is coming from the front-left, front-right speakers.  It is rather strange that the sounds cuts off quickly at the end of some of the movements (M3-1, M3-6, M7-5 are very noticeable).  I also noticed a very minor sound problem at 4:49 of M4-3, where there is a digital-noise/electrical buzz sound (lasts less than a second). 

I will be getting much enjoyment from these SACD's over the holidays. 
Scott

Offline sbugala

Re: M3, M4, M7 - Bernstein Sony/Japan SACD's - General Impressions
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 05:39:18 PM »
Thanks for the report! If I wasn't knee deep in Christmas bills, I'd be treating myself to these.  If I can ask, what store did you get them from? Did they seem to have the best deal? 

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 11:41:49 PM »
Wow! I am tempted to get them right away. But I am more interested in the M2, M6, and M9. Has anybody tried these?

John,

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 04:50:21 PM »
I bought these from HMV.JP.  I did not do any price comparisons, as I believe that Japan is the only source for these recordings at this time.  Amazon.JP and perhaps Tower.JP would be other alternatives, but I have never purchased from them.  I find the HMV site (English version) very easy to navigate. 

I may consider purchasing the M6/M9 3-disc set sometime next year, along with the DLvdE. 
Scott

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 05:05:25 PM »
All of the new SACD Lenny/NYPO/Sony Mahler Symphony discs are on ebay right now - the current price is $340.00:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Leonard-Bernstein-Sony-Japan-SACD-hybrid-Mahler-CDs-new_W0QQitemZ230201399871QQihZ013QQcategoryZ307QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 09:19:57 PM »
... Actually, $340 for 16 SACDs from Japan isn't all that bad, if I can buy them at the price now :(

Offline Amphissa

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 03:54:47 PM »

These are beginning to trickle into the US. Amazon has a few of them, although the price is high. Arkiv has the first at a reasonable price. I would hope that the entire SACD box set would show up in the US. For me, the price is still too extreme.
"Life without music is a mistake." Nietzsche

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 11:54:21 PM »
Yes, the HMV.jp price (including International shipping) is still much cheaper than Amazon.com or CDUniverse. 
Scott

Offline Jeff Wozniak

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 04:23:11 PM »
The set says it contains Das Lied, but I wasn't aware of a Columbia Das Lied.

Anybody know about this?

Offline sbugala

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 06:03:54 PM »
It's with the Israel Philharmonic and I believe it's live.  Christa Ludwig and Rene Kollo are the singers, if I'm correct.  Even among Bernstein fans, it isn't rated too highly, but I'd love to hear someone sing its praises.  I think the main deterrent may be the sound.  Anyone care to comment on its merits?

Offline Trio

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 08:48:40 PM »
I bought the entire set for myself, also from HMV.  It arrived on the 24th.  So far I have listened twice each to M1 thru M4.  I am astounded by the sound quality, especially when compared to the earlier "Bernstein Century" releases.  There is a large gain in clarity, soundstage and dimension.

For reference, I am listening to the Red Book layer only through headphones - no SACD equipment here.

Yes, the set is expensive, but so far it appears to me to be worth it.

Trio

Offline John Kim

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 05:22:57 AM »
Trio,

Thanks for the report.

Please let me know how the M6th and M9th sound in this new format.

John,

Offline Trio

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 01:56:26 PM »
John -

Listened to the 9th this morning.  Astounding sound quality.  I'd be interested in understanding how they improve 40+ year old master tapes that much.  It is a more dramatic change than from a typical remastered recording.  It adds a clarity and depth, plus, for me, almost a sense of being in the audience of a live event.

I also did an A-B comparison of the "Bernstein Century" (CD) release of the first movement of the 6th to the new release.  Did the first few minutes of each back and forth a few times.  Again, the difference in SQ is significant.

Hope this helps.

Trio

Offline Jeff Wozniak

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 06:29:47 PM »
Trio,

The improvement you speak of is from listening to the CD layer only?  I have to get this set, even though the wife will shoot me.

Oh well, you have to die from something...

BTW-In terms of improvement in sound I felt the same way about this famous Bernstein recording after getting the SACD.  Simply amazing what they did with it compared to the Bernstein Century Edition.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 06:52:34 PM »
I'd bet that even if you listen to the 2 channel CD layer you'd hear a significant improvement. This is because they normally do a remastering when they prepare in the SACD format. For example, Chailly's RCO M9th sounds decidedly better on the CD layer of its SACD disc than on the regular CD version. There is no doubt that the Japanese engineers had done a digital remastering to this analogue tapes, so we should expect improvements regardless of the format.

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk