Author Topic: Bertini's Mahler cycle to be reissued on HQCD  (Read 5227 times)

Offline John Kim

Bertini's Mahler cycle to be reissued on HQCD
« on: July 29, 2010, 09:29:55 PM »
http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/3813775

I think it's well worth looking for.

I look forward to improvement in the sound for M6th and M9th.

John,

Offline vvrinc

Re: Bertini's Mahler cycle to be reissued on HQCD
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 06:30:52 PM »
John,

The following is an industry description (mumbo & jumbo in large doses) of HQCD:

>>HQCD (HiQualityCD) format achieves high quality audio through the use of a polycarbonate plastic with improved transparency derived from LCD display manufacturing technologies enabling more accurate reading of the CD data. In addition, a special alloy is used as the material of the reflective layer instead of the standard aluminum. HQCD format CDs are fully compatible with standard CD players.<<

I was one of the unfortunates who bought Karajan's Mahler on SHM-CD. Every single disc was among the worst things I've ever listened to in regards to sound. The top and bottom were boosted to ridiculous levels. The type of thing popular with the MP3 crowd. The only way I found to listen to the recordings was by inputting to ITunes and using the equalizer. A friend had Karajan's Bruckner on SHM-CD and the same thing is present on that set. (I sold mine and so did my friend.)

I'll stick with the original issue of Bertini-Mahler as it is among the best-sounding sets available--until there is an honest attempt to "remaster" from the original session materials. Of course, that's no guarantee of better sound as we can observe from the trend in the popular field with many old recordings (the loudness wars): being maxed-out at both ends of the sound spectrum and totally disregarding the musical intentions of the recording artists and original producers.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 06:38:07 PM »
Strange you mentioned about the Karajan Mahler SHMCD releases negatively. A dear friend of mine kindly let me borrow these discs and I had a listen through all of them. I thought the sound was marginally to significantly improved compared to the regular releases. Granted, it wasn't as nearly good as the (general) sound of SACDs, but I was glad to have heard them again in the improved sound.

The question is, is it really justified to purchase them again if you already own the previous releases?

I am not so sure ???.

John,

Offline waderice

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 07:34:29 PM »
John Kim & vvrinc:  Could the differences you two are experiencing in listening to the HQCD Karajan Mahler due to differences in quality of audio equipment?  Unfortunately, I don't have any of these recordings in the formats you're talking about, so I'm unable to provide much help here.

Wade

Offline vvrinc

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 07:45:26 PM »
John,

I bought the Sinopoli-Mahler remasters from HMV-Japan and can report that they are significant improvements over the original issue. But these are not labeled SHM-CD or HQCD and cost me about $45. shipped (the Karajan SHM-CD was around $200). So, sometimes the record companies do get it right.

Over my home system, which is all-tubed except for the Audiomecca digital front end, the sound of the Karajan was unbearable. Even switching out the silver ICs and speaker cables for copper ones did not help. The 4th Symphony was the only one that was even remotely tolerable, but was not an improvement on the original issue. I can still remember the opening of the 5th as being simply painful to listen to.

Offline Romy The Cat

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 02:46:52 AM »
vvrinc,

You are absolutely correct. I was one of the first who go the new HQCD from Japan in 2008 as the only became available and I literally trashed all those CD. It was horrendous garbage. I do not think that the problem with the technologies or materials. The problem with the idiots who mastered those CDs…

Offline John Kim

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 08:20:53 PM »
I was one of the unfortunates who bought Karajan's Mahler on SHM-CD. Every single disc was among the worst things I've ever listened to in regards to sound. The top and bottom were boosted to ridiculous levels. The type of thing popular with the MP3 crowd. The only way I found to listen to the recordings was by inputting to ITunes and using the equalizer. A friend had Karajan's Bruckner on SHM-CD and the same thing is present on that set. (I sold mine and so did my friend.)
I am listening to the Karajan/BPO M9th (digital) SHM-CD discs and find absolutely nothing to complain about the sound quality. It sounds terrific on my equipment which is a potable CD player! Next on my deck are Karajan's analog M9th followed by the Sixth all on SHM-CDs.

John,

Offline GL

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 08:24:09 AM »
I am listening to the Karajan/BPO M9th (digital) SHM-CD discs and find absolutely nothing to complain about the sound quality. It sounds terrific on my equipment which is a potable CD player! Next on my deck are Karajan's analog M9th followed by the Sixth all on SHM-CDs.

John,

I'm with John. They sound just perfect (especially the Fifth-how I love it!).

Luca
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 12:53:44 PM by GL »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk