Author Topic: brief samples of Zinman M5; Harding/VPO M10  (Read 6013 times)

Offline barry guerrero

brief samples of Zinman M5; Harding/VPO M10
« on: June 05, 2008, 07:18:17 AM »
Here's a taste of the upcoming Zinman M5. I feel that the first and third movement samples sound particularly good.

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/home/detail/-/hnum/1511301/iampartner/a98/lang/en/currency/USD

Now here's the Harding/VPO M10, which sounds very promising.

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/SESSIONID/0e21ccc407cda70b34efcde50e863435/home/detail/-/hnum/5101837

Enjoy.

Offline je-b

Re: brief samples of Zinman M5; Harding/VPO M10
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 01:57:08 PM »
I bought the Harding VPO M10 yesterday since it's already available here in Germany. I'm not even through with the first listening session, so I can't say anything much right now - only that I was immediately stunned by the incredibly beautiful playing of the Vienna Philharmonic whose characteristic sound is better captured here than on most recent discs I think.
"Ich leb' allein in meinem Himmel,
 In meinem Lieben, in meinem Lied!"

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 02:00:31 PM »
WOW...the Zinman M5 sounds fantastic!  Especially the trumpet in the opening measures.  From what I hear here, the sound picture is deep and wide.

--Todd

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 02:06:34 PM »
And I'm very impressed with the playing on Harding's M10...now I eagerly await this release.

--Todd

Offline je-b

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 03:03:35 PM »
Wow, now that I've listened to the whole thing: Get that Harding / VPO M10! I'm certainly no expert when it comes to M10 - but even in case you're not wholly satisfied with Harding's interpretation, the playing of the VPO is unbelievable (horns, low brass, and principal trumpet are particularly outstanding). The sound quality is probably the best I've heard from DG in a long, long time. Extreme dynamic range and wonderfully warm and colorful - if you've ever been to the Musikverein in Vienna itself, this comes pretty close I'd say.
Yet, I'm not sure if the sound of the VPO is weighty enough to really nail the first movement's shocking climax though. The same goes for one or two other passages as well. But just listen to those inner movements: I think I've rarely (if ever!) heard better playing than this. I admit I'm amazed.  :o   
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 03:05:21 PM by je-b »
"Ich leb' allein in meinem Himmel,
 In meinem Lieben, in meinem Lied!"

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 04:20:03 PM »
Thanks for that report je-b, now I very primed for this performance!

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 05:24:21 PM »
Actually, I've owned a burn-job of the Harding/VPO M10 (from the live performance) for a couple of years now. What blows me away - or freaks me out - is that the VPO play M10 with far more enthusiasm, and a genuine sense of discovery than ANY of their recordings of the Mahler 9th; which always sounds like their trying to hang a painted masterpiece up on a wall in some state funded museum. Go figure.

Barry

Offline Don

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 11:06:08 PM »
I eagerly await the release of this in the US (or give in to my impatience and buy it from Europe), sounds promising from these excerpts.

Love the way the strings, especially the low strings, dig into their parts at the beginning of Scherzo I. Purgatorio has a nice pace and great winds.
M10 Fanatic!

Offline John Kim

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 12:05:48 AM »
Those who have heard the Zinman M5th raved about it. They all said it's the best Mahler recording Zinman has made, the best of all recent Mahler recordings.

Wow :o

John,

Offline sbugala

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 03:23:22 AM »
Any word on whether this is a near mid-priced cd like others from the cycle?  Amazon had it for $25, which is much more than the $13.98 of the Mahler 1 and 4.  I was hoping that's a Japanese import or something, rather than the "normal" release.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 03:27:06 AM by sbugala »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 03:36:17 AM »
Well, that's nice to hear. At this point, I plan on collecting the entire Zinman cycle. To me, it's the modern day equivalent of the old Kubelik cycle (less quick, but better recorded).

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 03:41:39 PM »
At one time Amazon listed a release date for the Harding M10 and Zinman M5, but now I can't find those dates. 

--Todd

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 12:39:47 AM »
Those who have heard the Zinman M5th raved about it. They all said it's the best Mahler recording Zinman has made, the best of all recent Mahler recordings.

Wow :o

John,

John,

Have you seen some reviews on the internet?  Or were you talking with friends who heard this?

I can't wait to hear the Zinman M5!

--Todd

Offline John Kim

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 05:06:04 AM »
Todd,

Yes I have seen a rave review but it's all in Korean ;)

I says something like, "Zinman's M5th ranks with the very best on a par with Bernstein and Rattle. The most extraordinary movt. is II. where Zinman's reading truly shines with unmatched level of depth and freshness. He also extracts many details I've never heard before. Zinman's momentum carries all the way through the Finale in orchestral sound that has strong bass and lots of meat. I have never imagined Tonhalle orchestra will sound this good in Mahler."

He said it's the best Mahler Zinman and his orchestra have delivered so far.

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk