Author Topic: Is anyone going to review Sieghart/APO/Exton M10 by Samale-Mazucca?  (Read 10568 times)

Offline John Kim

Re: Is anyone going to review Sieghart/APO/Exton M10 by Samale-Mazucca?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 09:50:37 PM »
John,

It sounds as if the Macal M9 almost became your favorite, and perhaps if the last three movements were played more like Sieghart's objective consideration or pace...as in this M10, you would have the M9 of your dreams!

I think I would like a Sieghart M9 as well.

--Todd
Precisely. I've been longing for a M9th that would go as you described. When I am listening to Sieghart's M10 I imagine how his M9 will sound and then realize that version might just be my dream come true. The Macal comes pretty close and I can live with just that recording. But Sieghart may someday beat Macal. Hey, it's all for me 8)

John,
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 10:22:36 PM by John Kim »

Offline Freddy van Maurik

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 08:27:45 AM »
I've been listening to this for some 3 weeks now, and I have to say it grows on me.

It would seem that Todd has the same experience with this recording. I had to listen twice to be able to realy form an opinion on this one. After my fourth hearing I'm almost as enthousiastic about it as John is.

I hope Sieghart and his orchestra will record a M9th in exactly the same fashion and sound quality. That will be a Mahler Ninth for John.

There may be a chance... Sieghart will leave the orchestra next year, but will remain honorary guest-conductor until 2012. And Kobayashi is a regular guest as well, so maybe he'll take up some Mahler with this orchestra. I would certainly welcome that (as I said, I live just 10 minutes from the orchestra's main hall: Musis Sacrum in Arnhem).

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 04:07:42 PM »
Freddy,

If I remember correctly...you like Sieghart's Das Lied as well?

Sieghart's Das Lied is among my favorites of that work....right up there near the top.

His M6 is wonderful...as slow performances go, it certain keeps my attention...it took a couple passes though to get into it!

I'm about to compare his M10 with Vienna to his new Exton release...

--Todd
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 04:12:57 PM by Leo K »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 04:11:35 PM »
John,

It sounds as if the Macal M9 almost became your favorite, and perhaps if the last three movements were played more like Sieghart's objective consideration or pace...as in this M10, you would have the M9 of your dreams!

I think I would like a Sieghart M9 as well.

--Todd
Precisely. I've been longing for a M9th that would go as you described. When I am listening to Sieghart's M10 I imagine how his M9 will sound and then realize that version might just be my dream come true. The Macal comes pretty close and I can live with just that recording. But Sieghart may someday beat Macal. Hey, it's all for me 8)

John,

John,

I've discovered the Olson/CO Mahlerfest to be my dream M9 lately, in terms of pace and dynamics (especially in the outer movements)!

A Sieghart M9 may come close to Olson's construction...they are similar in their approach I think.

--Todd

Offline Freddy van Maurik

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 02:47:19 PM »
Todd,

I really like both M6 and Das Lied by Sieghart. I attended the dLvdE concert as well.
I'm very much a fan of slow M6's and I love the Abschied by Sieghart and Stotijn!

Offline John Kim

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 08:33:26 PM »
Now I have listened to this recording 8 times and am still ready to go for 2 more times ::).

I really like the way S-M treats the huge climax in I. with an added bass drum roll. I think the Scherzo II. is a model of clarity but it is also orchestrated with Maherian idioms. But nobody can do much about Scherzo I. as they couldn't here. It is the most problematic movt. of M10th after all. Still, S-M do as good a job as anyone before them; it sounds somewhere between Mazzetti II and Carpenter versions.

But again what I like most about this recording is the clearcut, classy conducting and playing recorded in sumptuous sound by Exton engineers.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2008, 06:25:10 AM »
I think that there's TOO MUCH percussion added to the climactic passage in the first movement. This sort of, "shoots one's wad" (so to speak), as it somewhat diminishes the impact of adding percussion to the reprise of the same climax in the fifth movement. David thinks that there should be zero percussion added to the first movement - anywhere. I'm willing to concede a mezzoforte tam-tam stroke at the start of the loud outburst, with only a discrete bass drum roll added into the few meaures that precede the four-bar passage that has the upper strings playing pizzicato notes (followed by the dissonant climax). In my opinion, no percussion should be added during the dissonant part itself (save it for the finale).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk