Author Topic: Rattle's M2...Falling in love.  (Read 12753 times)

Offline chalkpie

Re: Rattle's M2...Falling in love.
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 06:54:09 PM »
I'm giving a listen to the Chailly M2 right now after reading this thread again.  It's been on the back burner for a bit and I forgot how much I like this recording.

I think when the smoke has cleared, I hope folks will see Chailly's cycle as one of the best overall, period. Think about it - there are many of these readings that make folks top versions, and the thing is almost every symph gets a nod - even this M2. For me, I could'nt live without ANY of these, possibly with the exception of the M7 - and I am a professed M7 nut.

I don't own the Bertini set, but it seems to me that very few of those readings (Das Lied, M8) get the nod as a top recommendation, yet that set is usually recommended over this Chailly set. I don't get that.

Offline mahler09

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 01:18:33 AM »
Agreed.  I have the Chailly set and listen to it frequently, much more often than other sets.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2010, 12:17:24 AM »
I don't own the Bertini set, but it seems to me that very few of those readings (Das Lied, M8) get the nod as a top recommendation, yet that set is usually recommended over this Chailly set. I don't get that.

I think it's greatly a question of what you want as a side-dish: "DLvdE", or M10 in the Cooke version. Both side-dishes are very good. Now that I've heard the Chailly set in the box set - which sounds somewhat remastered to me (maybe it's all just in my head) - I suppose the Chailly may get the nod from me now. That said, I much prefer Bertini's 7th. Since the Zinman set will eventually have M10 in the Carpenter version, that might very well  become my overall favorite (vocals aren't always great though). That said, the Markus Stenz might turn out to be a real winner too.  It's nice to be spoiled for choices.

Offline chalkpie

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 12:58:34 AM »
One quick point: Rattle kicks serious ass on the M2 conclusion - wow! One of the best (endings) me thinks.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 09:53:49 PM »
"Rattle kicks serious ass on the M2 conclusion - wow! One of the best (endings) me thinks"

Good tam-tams and plenty of organ. However, I do sort of agree with Dave Hurwitz; who, in his review of Rattle's M2 for High Fidelity or Stereo Review, referred to the organ as a "Maytag". But hey, I'll take a Maytag over not having enough organ at all. I like Janet Baker too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk