Author Topic: Levine/Battle/Ludwig/VPO/Orfeo Mahler Symphony No. 2 'Resurrection'  (Read 12391 times)

Offline John Kim

For those who have been looking for a good source of Levine's Resurrection, the wait is over. With the exception of Mehta's version on Decca, this is by far the best Resurrection the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra recorded.

That being said, it's also pretty much an 'auto-pilot' from start to finish: the unique orchestral timbre and its hallmark style are unmistakably theirs whoever leads them - the rich strings, hopping woodwinds, brilliant horns, blaring trumpets, thundering timpani. But Levine's concept of the symphony is more consistent and dramatic than anyone else who conducted them before and after him. It is a blazingly taut and driven performance that will put you on the edge of your seat right up to the final bar. Sometimes, Levine's conducting is so agitated that the Vienna trumpets blow way above their heads. But what a virtuosic orchestra they truly are! The final peroration is nicely drawn out as is the pure orchestral postlude that follows the chorus.

The live recording sound is very realistic with particularly stark presence from the brass and percussion sections. Throughout the Finale and elsewhere, the bells, high & low tam tam are all audible (but the organ is weak), although I wish the mikes had been placed closer to the choir.

An outstanding and a very important archive that demonstrates James Levine as one of the finest Mahler conductors of our time.

Now, where is Levine's Mahler Eighth?

Offline waderice

Re: Levine/Battle/Ludwig/VPO/Orfeo Mahler Symphony No. 2 'Resurrection'
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 12:20:23 AM »
There is no commercial issue of James Levine's M8 that he did with the NYPO in 1974 (I believe that was the year), but the aircheck source that I have on CD of it in poor sound was derived from a cassette, plus there is a short part missing from the beginning.  I stuck it in the RCA box of his other Mahler symphonies that I recently bought for "safekeeping" until such a time that I either find a better source or if it is commercially issued someday.

Though I've seen it said here that his Israel Philharmonic M2 reading isn't as good as his Vienna account, is the sound in both comparable?

Wade
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 12:22:30 AM by waderice »

Offline mahlerei

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 12:30:18 AM »
Yes, a very fine 'Resurrection' indeed. Regrettably, Levine has not had a good press on this side of the Atlantic. But then neither has Mehta, whose M2 with the WP is a deserving classic. Perhaps Universal will be persuaded to remaster and reissue the latter as part of their 24/96 download programme. A handful of trial issues - including Solti's M8 - are available now via the Linn website.

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 05:22:00 AM »
Now, where is Levine's Mahler Eighth?

I have a webcast of a live Mahler Eighth with Levine and the Boston Symphony from 2004 in pretty good sound; it's an MP3 at 320 kbps.  ;D

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 04:08:58 PM »
Folks, this is a phenomenal Resurrection, if that was not clear.

The ending is truly apocalyptic as it is heaven storming. The powerful VPO brass & percussion literally lift the floor up by a dozen feet!!

I heard Levin's live recording of M8: Part I. was (or still is?) available in a CSO box set.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 04:32:47 AM »
Well, I'll be the dissenting opinion here. Obviously, the vocals are great. But the ending of the symphony is a bit of a mess, and the organ at the Salzburg Festival  is never very impressive (and sounds electronic, which it is). Also, Levine is predictably slack in some spots. While some may feel that Kaplan is too  'objective', I would still take Kaplan/VPO over this one. That's just one person's opinion.

Barry

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 08:51:47 AM »
"Though I've seen it said here that his Israel Philharmonic M2 reading isn't as good as his Vienna account, is the sound in both comparable?i"

Both have good sound. The biggest difference is that the Israel one is a small tad faster throughout and the ending is far stronger (IMHO). On the other hand, the Vienna one is better at smelling the flowers along the way. I've never felt that the ending on the Mehta/VPO one was all that hot. The ideal thing would be to graft the Israel ending on to the Vienna performance.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 05:56:58 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline mahlerei

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 12:14:47 PM »
While it's always easy to find fault with this detail or that, it's the totality of the performance that interests me. In that respect Levine's Salzburg 'Resurrection' is a resounding success.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 04:00:13 PM »
I'm looking at it differently. What's the point of calling a recording of Mahler's Resurrection symphony a resounding success, if the ending isn't that successful? There are tons of recordings that are a success from the beginning to the end. If you like it a lot, that's fine. I have no problem with that.

Also, for whatever the reasons, Levine ALWAYS has his timpani pound too loudly in virtually every Mahler recording he ever made. I find the same here, which isn't a delight with the VPO's slightly 'thuddy' sounding timpani. Yes, the percussion make a lot of noise on this recording, but they're not all that consistent - not enough for my preference, anyway. As for the brass, the VPO brass are nearly ALWAYS strong and dark sounding. As I said: if others like it, that's fine. This just isn't for me.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 05:55:42 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 04:07:27 PM »
I'm looking at it differently. What's the point of calling a recording of Mahler's Resurrection symphony a resounding success, if the ending isn't that successful?

Well, thanks for posting this just a day too late for me!   ;)

I placed a large order with Presto Classical UK to get this one and a few others. 

...but...for me...

yes, I generally feel that way about any Mahler symphony.  Mahler wrote big endings to most of his symphonies, and what's the point if the conductor cannot get that aspect correct.  However, I've been plenty impressed with some M2 endings that were missing a big organ (Abbado/CSO, Mehta/Israel Live at Masada both come to mind). 
Scott

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 06:09:42 PM »
Maybe you'll like it. It certainly has some great moments in it, as all Levine Mahler performances seem to possess. I'm just saying that it wouldn't be anywhere near being a top choice for me. Then again, there are probably more recordings available of Mahler's "Resurrection" than there are of Beethoven's "Eroica".

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 03:43:34 PM »
Folks, this is a phenomenal Resurrection, if that was not clear.

The ending is truly apocalyptic as it is heaven storming. The powerful VPO brass & percussion literally lift the floor up by a dozen feet!!

John,

John,

I am with you on this one...a spectacular M2.  This one goes right into my top tier of favorites.  I can see somebody not liking some of Levine's mannerisms in the work, but for my taste pretty much every risk he takes pays off.  He does an excellent job building and releasing tension throughout.  I love the way he draws out the entire ending, similar to the way I like to hear the end of an M8. 

This is really the first M2 by the VPO that I've liked, as I have never been a fan of Kaplan or Mehta's (both of whom have superb and vastly preferable versions of M2 with other orchestras).  Levine brings out the normally dark and subdued VPO cymbals.  The always-superb VPO timpani is powerful throughout, as is the entire brass section.  Yeah I long for a better/deeper bass drum and something better than the weak tea-tray paiste tam-tam. It is true that there is virtually no organ at the finale.  Sure there are some one-off live playing problems.  For example, in the finale's March of the Souls, the timpanist completely sleeps through a section (around 12' in).  But there is so much excellence everywhere else, and I really love Levine's dramatic conducting flair. I haven't mentioned anything specifically about the first four movements, but they are all superb.   

The sound is excellent.  The "engineering" is strange though.  At the end of the first movement, there is about a minute if instrumental tuning.  But prior to starting the second movement, there is a disc change.  They also left in the orchestral tuning between movements two and three. 
Scott

Offline waderice

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 04:30:34 PM »
"......the weak tea-tray paiste tam-tam."

It would be interesting to read what Barry has to say about this metaphor on a Paiste tam-tam.

Wade

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 04:39:55 AM »
They actually use Wuhans but sometimes use mallets that are too small and light for them. The tam-tam you see on the Bernstein video of M8 (from the Konzerthaus) is an older Chinese one. Those are now hard to find, but they're probably much closer to what they had back in Mahler's time. Some of the older opera houses still have those around. Anyway, they had that one long before they switched to a Wuhan. Perhaps in this Levine performance they used that older Chinese gong for the upper tam-tam part. They can actually be quite effective as long as you don't bash them too hard. If you want to see the gong in question, just look at the very last segment of Bernstein's M8 on Youtube.

If they still have the Maazel/VPO M8 up on Youtube, they have a huge 130cm Wuhan at the end of that performance. I've always wondered if that particular gong belongs to the VPO (or the Staatsoper), or if Maazel actually had Pittsburg's 130cm Wuhan flown over.

Offline Roffe

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 05:24:14 AM »
Please note yhat you can buy this recording from amazon.co.uk for £10.47 instead of the $30.11 at amazon.com.

Roffe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk