Author Topic: Levine/Battle/Ludwig/VPO/Orfeo Mahler Symphony No. 2 'Resurrection'  (Read 12395 times)

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
Re: Levine/Battle/Ludwig/VPO/Orfeo Mahler Symphony No. 2 'Resurrection'
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 05:46:06 PM »
They actually use Wuhans but sometimes use mallets that are too small and light for them.
They can actually be quite effective as long as you don't bash them too hard.

If you listen about half-way through the first movement, where the opening music returns, you'll hear my complaint about the tam-tam.  It may very well be that they simply use the wrong kind of mallet and hit it too hard, because it sounds like a tea try.  The tam tam is a bit more effective at other parts, but really doesn't sound at all like the Wuhans I prefer in ...let's say... RCOA performances, where it has that deep and rich sound. 
Scott

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Levine/Battle/Ludwig/VPO/Orfeo Mahler Symphony No. 2 'Resurrection'
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 06:17:56 PM »
Scott,

I know exactly what you're talking about and have even witnessed it in concert. Yes, they use a smallish mallet on their Wuhan. But more to the point, I think they picked out one that decays very rapidly, which works extremely well for "Salome" and "Wozzeck" - two big specialties of the Staatsoper. Believe it or not, the way you suspend a gong can slightly effect the decay time as well. You can do this by 'doubling' the rope through the drilled openings, or by simply using a very thick rope. In essence, that helps to 'dampen' the gong.

This would make sense for two reasons. First, they like to play their percussion from a seated position - something that Mahler hated, by the way (he played percussion at the Vienna Conservatory). Second, there simply isn't much room in the opera pit to be hanging all over the gong in an effort to dampen it quickly.

If all this sounds far fetched, just listen to various Vienna recordings of either "Salome" or "Wozzeck". You'll hear what I mean.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk