Author Topic: Barenboim M9th CD  (Read 12942 times)

michaelw

Re: Barenboim M9th CD
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2007, 08:20:40 PM »
John,

It’s interesting to hear about your favourites. I know and like the Neumann and have read that Ancerl’s M9 is good, but I haven’t heard it as well as Ashkenazy (ever) conducting Mahler. And I don’t know Svetlanov (and I have a dozen M9’s).

Regarding your question: In my opinion the sound and the attitude of Barenboim’s M7 and M9 are similar. It’s the same kind of fresh playing, very transparent. Today I could see that the Staatskapelle is touring in Germany and Europe and perform M3 and M6 with Boulez and M5, M7 and M9, DLvdE with Barenboim nearly day by day (today Brussels). In view of the coming Mahler fest it is surprising that they simply took the second performance of all these concerts for the M9 recording.

Michael

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 09:07:50 AM »
Svetlanov's M9 is a fast performance, but with a super fast Rondo-Burlesque; it's less than 11 minutes long. The playing of the Residente Orkest (they're from The Hague) is pretty darn good.

michaelw

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 12:05:14 PM »
I already tried to find it, but particularly the Svetlanov M9 seems to be no longer available (neither here nor in the US).

Michael

Offline John Kim

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2007, 07:03:19 PM »
Michael,

Please see my personal message that I sent this morning and reply.

Best,

John,

michaelw

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007, 08:05:56 PM »
Talking about M9 recordings: Has anybody ever heard the BIS M9 by Barshai? It is available at some online stores now and the timing is definitely on the faster side: 25:38, 16:22, 13:08, 20:54. The orchestra is the Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra, apparently in 1992.

Michael

Offline John Kim

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2007, 08:32:28 PM »
Do not waste your money on this one. It's OK but with so many excellent recordings out there - Chailly, Bernstein, Ozawa, Levine, MTT, Svetlanov, Neumann - it's not really competitive. The playing is at best adequate and the sound is rough. Barshai's interpretation is nothing special; his main interest seems to be getting it over with. I know Barshai has done some good Mahler, e.g., M5 & M10, but not this one.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2007, 09:45:37 PM »
Whats the Ozawa M9 like?

Offline John Kim

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2007, 05:30:09 AM »
Ozawa recorded the work twice, once with BSO (Philips) the second with Saito Kinen Orch. (Sony). Both are excellent; his trademarks in this symphony are crisp, elegant and alert playing, clear delination of many polyphonic lines, a unique structure in which the 1st movt climaxes are a bit scaled down (purposefully) compared to the slow but intense passages and the finale's climax that is perfectly balanced against the rest of the movt. In fact, under Ozawa the Finale sounds just right, neither too short nor long (26 min), achieving a rare sense proportion and architecture. No that he lacks passion and ardor; they are there when required. David Hurwitz said he had never heard a better orchestral playing in this piece when Ozawa & BSO toured and played the symphony in NY. The Sony recording boasts the same features but the playing of the Japanese orch. isn't at the same level as BSO. The Philips CD is available only in the complete cycle set.

John,

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2007, 10:03:29 PM »
I listened to the M9 Barenboim/SK Berlin last week over a couple of different sessions in my car.  I had hoped to immediately type some first impressions, but was unable.  So here goes:

I feel that most of my other M9 listenings over the last several months have had longish outer movements of perhaps 28+ minutes or so.  So right off the bat, the tempos that Barenboim uses strike me as fresh and different.  The woodwinds are indeed very forward throughout the performance, adding to my sense of rediscovery.  In terms of the first movement, some of the negatives that I noticed are that certain tempos strike me as slightly rushed, the tam-tam at the climax is covered up (but this could have been exacerbated by car noise), and in the final bars, the held solo brass note is too forward.  All in all, though, a very enjoyable first movement.  IIRC, Abbado/BPO/DG has a similarly timed first movement, but Barenboim seems be both faster and slower in certain sections.   

The second movement just sounds too fast.  There does not seem to be any difference among the trio sections, which, if done properly, should get faster as the movement goes along.  Here, they start out fast, and really have nowhere to go.  However, the playing is still splendid, so the movement still works. 

And here is where my memory is failing me -- For the most part the R-B is well played and aggressive enough,  but the percussion at the end is inconsistent.  The finale seems to have all of the same pluses and minuses as the opening movement -- solid playing, enjoyably forward woodwinds, but some tempos that strike me as being a little rushed (not at the very ending section though).  Again, though, my complaints about the tempos are certainly biased by all of the longer M9's to which I've recently listened.  This is an M9 to which I will return soon. 

Scott

Offline John Kim

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2007, 11:01:21 PM »
Scott,

I'd agree with most of your assessment but would add that the sonics on this CD is disappointing. This is particularly frustrating when one remembers the excellent sound quality of their recent M7th recording. Recorded live, it is congested, opaque and lacks details. You said about the ending of I.

"...the held solo brass note is too forward."

The instrument you're referring to is actually a woodwind (oboe?). I too was surprised that it was held at such a high level. Still, I like Barenboim's finale which despite the short timing sounds just right. Also, in the inner movts. he has woodwinds playing louder than normal adding much freshness and excitement.

John,

John,

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2007, 04:03:43 PM »
Scott,

I'd agree with most of your assessment but would add that the sonics on this CD is disappointing. John,

John,

I forgot to mention the sonics.  The first movement indeed sounded congested to me.  The sound seemed to improve after that, but perhaps I was just acclimated to the sonics by that time. 
Scott

Offline John Kim

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2007, 06:05:37 PM »
It's a shame because the performance is fine and has a few things going for it. Why do engineers record live if they don't have confidence in what they are doing? To save cost? Considering live recordings sound as good as studio recordings these days, I really think the sound quality on the Barenboim M9th should have been better.

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk