Author Topic: Wigglesworth/NRPO/BIS Shosy 4 gets a hearty 10/9 from DH (OOT)  (Read 5172 times)

Offline John Kim

DMITRI SHOSTAKOVICH
Symphony No. 4
Netherlands Radio Philharmonic Orchestra

Mark Wigglesworth

BIS- 1553(SACD)
Reference Recording - Kondrashin (Melodiya); Järvi (Chandos); Previn (EMI)

This isn't the kind of juggernaut performance that most listeners probably have in mind when thinking of this brash work, qualities that are very well captured by the reference recordings listed above. Mark Wigglesworth's tempos are a few minutes slower in the outer movements than those performances, but he has a very real and admirable ability to emphasize detail and rhythmic precision without sacrificing the necessary power. In the first movement's crazy fugue, for example, even though you might wish he had made a bit less of a diminuendo after the entrance of the galloping rhythm in strings and percussion, the very clarity of texture means that the music loses very little in the way of excitement, and it gains a melodic interest you might never suspect that it has.

Similarly, the climactic chorale in the finale never has been done better, and for once you can actually hear the timpani ostinato that gets it going. It's a real rhythm, and not just the usually muddy rumble in the depths of the orchestra. Wigglesworth also handles the preceding ballet suite with memorable charm, grace, and humor, and he carries his players along with him every step of the way. The result is an interpretation that gives the music a very different character from most of the other slowish versions (Haitink's for example). The sonics are very natural and well-balanced, but also a bit low level (this is more pronounced in multi-channel format). You really need to crank up the volume to capture the climaxes, but if you're system can handle it, you're going to love this.

--David Hurwitz

Well, I have been waiting for this release for years and the wait is over!! ;D

Wigglesworth's Shosy cycle has been the only one that I wanted to follow all the way. IMO, his unique interpretation coupled with the most spectacular and natural sounding recording quality (SACD) ever give to Shosy give it a clear margin above all others. In particular, his Babi Yar and the 12th are remarkable.

John,

Offline John Kim

Re: Wigglesworth/NRPO/BIS Shosy 4 gets a hearty 10/9 from DH (OOT)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 02:32:18 AM »
Speaking of Shosy 4th, has there been music that's more powerful, crazy, ironic, and ultimately poignant than the symphony? Each time I listen I am amazed how original and contemporary the whole symphony sounds. And yet it reaches the deep in our soul. No, even Mahler had rarely achieved such a level of communication with the audience.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 06:34:02 AM »
So, John, it appears the Wigglesworth Shosty cycle is a great way for a newbie to start with Shosty?

--Todd

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 07:05:58 AM »
So, John, it appears the Wigglesworth Shosty cycle is a great way for a newbie to start with Shosty?

--Todd
I've listened to only Wigglesworth/NRPO part (all SACDs) available on BIS label. They are the 8th, 9th, 12th, and 13th and outstanding recordings both in interpretation and sound. You can search for DH's rave reviews of these CDs at Classicstoday.com. I particularly like the sound quality which is warm, vivid, detailed, three-dimensional, and with a wide dynamic range but also it has lots of ambiance and cushion.  Some criticized that Wigglesworth does not always bring out the raw, Russian elements of the composer and makes the music sound all too easy, but I don't agree. Yes, they make listening to Shosy a pleasant, enjoyable experience. But what's wrong with it? The 8th could be bound to split the opinions in this regard, but I LOVE it! I like it as much as I love Previn, Haitink, and Bychkov.

The other part of the Wigglesworth/Shosy cycle includes the 5th, 7th, and 14th with BBC orchestra and they are available only in regular CD format. I have never heard these ones though.

Now, I am moving on to the 4th :D.

Regards,

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 08:54:00 AM »
For such a strange symphony (I love it), the 4th has been remarkably lucky on disc. Even the old Ormandy S4 is quite good. Although it's not all that well recorded, my personal favorite is the Jansons/Bayerische Rundfunks Orchester one on EMI. I also think that the Rostroprovich/National S.O. S4 is very good also. Even Rattle made a decent recording of it. I don't like the Jarvi one at all, and don't really understand why Dave thinks that one is so good. Sorry, John, but I've really not been that taken by Wigglesworth's Shostakovich. It's a bit too Mahler-like for me; a tad too dark and comfortable sounding for my taste. Maybe those qualities work better with the 4th.

Barry

Offline John Kim

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 05:11:24 AM »
Barry, I find Wigglesworth's Shosy 8th the most beautifully played and recorded version. It's the shear beauty that takes my breadth away but pursuing the beauty never diminishes its underlying power. I also like the slow tempo in the first movt. which extends the joy of listening. It's the only recording of the Eight I can listen again and again.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 06:08:20 AM »
Jansons/Pittsburgh is my favorite 8th. I like the Rostroprovich/National S.O. one very much also. That one has a faster than normal first movement, but is a tad slower in the third movement than usual.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 03:49:30 AM »
Jansons/Pittsburgh is my favorite 8th. I like the Rostroprovich/National S.O. one very much also. That one has a faster than normal first movement, but is a tad slower in the third movement than usual.
Barry,

Do you own Jansons' Shostokovich Symphony cycle on EMI?

DH likes it very much but I'd like to know your opinion.

So far I've heard only the 6th, 9th, 11th, and 13th. I like Janson's Babi Yar very much but was not terribly impressed with the 6th and 9th. The 11th sounded just fine.

Thanks.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 11:54:10 PM »
No, I'm not familiar with Jansons' entire Shostakovich cycle. I wanted his 8th becuase of the Pittsburgh factor, and it turned out to be a good hunch. The 4th I received as a "promo", and it turned out to be quite good as well. But the prospect of the Vienna Phil. doing S5 doesn't appeal to me. I have a feeling that his 10th might be just a tad disappointing as well. Just going by timings, I might really like the new Paavo Jarvi S10 (slow first movement; fast "Stalin" movement). One Shosty cycle that struck me as being very consistent from start to finish was the Barshai/Cologne one that Brilliant Classics issued, once upon a time.

Barry
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 12:23:02 AM by barry guerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk