Author Topic: Mehta's M3 in Vienna  (Read 3805 times)

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
Mehta's M3 in Vienna
« on: June 20, 2009, 05:44:15 PM »
Has anyone here heard Mehta's M3 with the Bavarian State Opera Orchestra and Marjana Lipovsek,  on a SACD issued in 2005 by Farao Records?

It was just broadcast by the local classical music radio station, and except for the nine blips or skips (station trimming for time?) it sounded Really Big.

I just checked out Amazon.com for it and see that it is not a bargain listing; although they indicate no delay in shipping, their price is $43.98; and their Amazon sellers offer it for as much as $102.38 new, and "like new" for as much as $80.24. Go figure. It must be one fabulous recording if price is a measure!

It was released in January, 2005. Why so little noted?

. & '

Offline alpsman

Re: Mehta's M3 in Vienna
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 10:57:42 PM »
Yes I have the sacd of M3 in Farao. It is a very good performance with nice sonics.But I think the one with Macal conducting the Czech Philh. is better, as the newer one of Abbado in dvd.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 12:02:51 AM »
I gave the Mehta/Farao M3 a real chance - I listened to it several times. Overall, I found it quite disappointing, and prefer his earlier Los Angeles M3 (Decca). The percussion dept. of the Bayerische Staatsoper Orch. do a very poor job, relatively speaking, and their low brass weren't much to write home about either. Musically, his Israel Phil. one might be the best of the three (Sony). But sonically speaking, it's the poorest of the three. For a recording of M3 eminating from the Musikverein, I still think the Boulez is the best one - by far! I definitely would not pay those prices for the Farao recording.

Barry
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 12:18:10 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 12:07:26 AM »
By the way, you probably could find a pirate job of Mehta doing M3 with the VPO  - live performance, of course - for a lot less money than this Farao CD set would cost you.  I know that he's performed it recently with the VPO, and I believe that there's a pirate of it floating around in Japan. I'd look into that - if Mehta is your objective.

Barry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk