Author Topic: Henry-Louis de La Grange's "Mahler" Volume 4 Remaindered at Last  (Read 4484 times)

Offline James Meckley

For those wanting a copy of Henry-Louis de La Grange's Mahler, Volume 4, it's finally been remaindered. Edward R. Hamilton, bookseller, has new hardbound copies for $39.95. I've dealt with Mr. Hamilton for years and have found him to be totally reliable and honest to a fault. He's the book world's equivalent to the Berkshire Record Outlet. I acquired new copies of de La Grange's Volumes 2 and 3 from him years ago for less than $20.00 each. No financial connection, etc., etc.

http://www.edwardrhamilton.com/titles/1/7/7/1776134.html

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline waderice

Re: Henry-Louis de La Grange's "Mahler" Volume 4 Remaindered at Last
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 12:19:33 PM »
WOW!  How is it that this seller is able to sell the volume 4 for $40, when I paid over $100 for it from Amazon.com?  Something seems fishy here (not to doubt you as a person, James!).  Does "remaindered" have something to do with a "clearance sale"?

Wade

Offline James Meckley

Re: Henry-Louis de La Grange's "Mahler" Volume 4 Remaindered at Last
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 04:41:05 PM »
Wade,

Nothing is fishy here. Remaindered books are books that are no longer selling well and whose remaining unsold copies are being liquidated by the publisher at greatly reduced prices. While the publisher takes a loss on the sale of these books, he's able to recoup some money and clear out space in his warehouse. A book that might retail for $20.00 will typically be purchased by someone specializing in remainders for $1.00 and then be resold for approximately $5.00. You'll see tables full of remaindered books at Barnes & Noble and other similar booksellers, usually marked as "sale" or "bargain" books. Daedalus is another seller specializing in remaindered books and CDs. I've bought hundreds of such books from Mr. Hamilton over the years including, as I said above, volumes 2 & 3 of La Grange.

EDIT: I should add that I recently ordered and received two copies of La Grange's Volume 4 from Mr. Hamilton (one for my library and one intended as a gift) and they are absolutely identical to the books currently being sold by Amazon for $94.50.

James
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 03:03:49 AM by James Meckley »
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk