Author Topic: M6 At The Proms: Prom 28, 8/5/2009...Available Online  (Read 4279 times)

Offline Michael

• Adagio Appassionato, Addolorato A Niente
    • My Railroad Audio Recordings
M6 At The Proms: Prom 28, 8/5/2009...Available Online
« on: August 06, 2009, 12:25:25 AM »
I'm listening now.  The link to the audio is:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00lxt21

« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 12:34:00 PM by Michael »
Michael

Offline barry guerrero

Re: M6 At The Proms: Prom 28, 8/5/2009...Available OnlineMahler
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 05:29:30 PM »
I hope to find time to actually listen to this, as I very much like this team's Chandos recording of Mahler 10 in the final Cooke edition (Noseda/BBC Phil.). I'll bet this is good.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 06:15:35 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 06:10:40 AM »
I'm at the climax of the slow movement now. The performance is excellent. I would urge everyone to - if nothing else - skip to the scherzo (2nd movement here), and listen to the two inner movements. They're outstanding. The trio sections in the scherzo keep moving along, as they should, and the slow movement goes at a true walking tempo. I find these tempi exemplary. If you heard me conduct this, it would sound a lot like this - I wish.

Finale: mostly very good. The sound gets a bit more compressed from the first hammer-stroke onwards. The final allegro (fast) "charge" section has plenty of energy, as it must. I only have two complaints, and they're both rather minor. First, the rute between the two hammer strokes sounds more like a giant salt shaker (a rute is a group of wooden birches struck against the back of the bass drum shell - which is my preferred method - or struck against a separate wooden surface). Second, the final A-minor outburst at the very, VERY end of the symphony is taken a bit too swiftly for my liking. I like it when it's done slowly, such as on the Chailly or Zinman recordings of M6. I do wish that British orchestras would set their "whangy" sounding Paiste tam-tams aside, and buy themselves some good Wuhans. I also wish their tuba players would bring something bigger to the gig than a Besson Eb tuba (and I say that as someone who plays a Besson Eb tuba). Still, this performance received a highly enthusiastic response from the listeners, as well as from the BBC commentators themselves.

If this ends up as a CD on some future issue of BBC Magazine, I'll buy it!

Barry
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 07:02:43 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Michael

• Adagio Appassionato, Addolorato A Niente
    • My Railroad Audio Recordings
Re: M6 At The Proms: Prom 28, 8/5/2009...Available Online
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 07:33:17 PM »
Well, after listening to the performance, I must say that I was very impressed.  The playing was excellent, as was the sound.  I hope someone makes this available like the Haightenk M9.

But then again...I don't really think there could be a "bad" Mahler sixth...just a poorly-recorded one.
Michael

Offline mike bosworth

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 10:32:23 AM »
...The performance is excellent. I would urge everyone to - if nothing else - skip to the scherzo (2nd movement here), and listen to the two inner movements. They're outstanding. The trio sections in the scherzo keep moving along, as they should, and the slow movement goes at a true walking tempo. I find these tempi exemplary...

I fully agree with Barry's analysis here.  This is one of the best 6ths I've heard in a long time, in particular a gorgeous Andante Moderato which clocks in at just under 14:00--the timing Mahler himself gave as part of the published score in 1906.  Kudos for making the cowbells sound audible in both of the 'episodes' in this movement.  These are often frustratingly missing from many recordings and live performances.  Noseda has also done a fantasic job in the bars leading from the 'false victory march' to the point where the third hammer blow used to exist in the Finale.  He really captures the sense of shock and despair that I believe Mahler was endeavouring to portray in this passage.  Finally, many of the 'extras' that Mahler probably took for granted (harp, celesta, cowbells, percussion), but which are very frequently not audible/present in recordings are for the most part given their due in this performance.

Upon first listening I find the main weakness to be the opening movement. Among other things I don't favor many of the tempo choices/mannerisms that I hear (eg, 'Alma theme' is a bit rushed). 

Also, in listening to the live performance from the BBC feed, I thought that instead of a significant pause Noseda should have moved right into the Finale from the close of the Andante Moderato, so that the "puff of smoke" beginning to the movement is more effective.

Despite these quibbles, an excellent performance, well worth hearing.

Mike Bosworth
Hanoi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk