Author Topic: Lenny's French M2  (Read 5010 times)

Offline Karafan

Lenny's French M2
« on: June 15, 2009, 01:10:32 PM »
Hello all

Sorry if it's been covered elsehwere - but I couldn't find a reference to it when searching:

What are the forum's views on Lenny's live 1958 French M2 with l'Orchestre de RTF?

Thanks

Karafan

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Lenny's French M2
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 11:49:34 PM »
It's 1958 from France. Need I say more?

Offline Karafan

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 12:20:11 PM »
I didn't have you down as a Francophobe Barry! ;D
Thought that was reserved for us Brits! ::)

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 09:53:56 PM »
It has nothing to do with being a Francophobe. In fact, I think that current day French performances of Mahler symphonies are quite good. But 1958 is a half-century ago. So let me put my point in perspective: I wouldn't buy a 1958 French performance of "La Mer" or "Daphnis" either (with the possible exception of the guy who was allegedly Ravel's top student, and conducted quite a bit at N.Y. Met. - can't think of his name right now). I might - MIGHT - buy a 1958 French recording of "Pelleas & Mellisande", IF the singers were really terrific and thoroughly idiomatic. And here's another way I might respond to the same question: What's wrong with Lenny's 1962 (63?) New York recording?

Barry

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 07:15:15 AM »
Manuel Rosenthal - that was the name I was trying to remember. He did, in fact, make a very good recording of "Daphnis" near the end of the '50s, with an "all-star" French orchestra that allegedly included J. P. Rampal and Maurice Andre. So they say. Anyway, I could be wrong, but I can't imagine the L'ORTF orchestra sounding great in a huge Mahler symphony in 1958.

Offline mahlerei

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 11:21:32 AM »
On the subject of French Mahler 2s I came across a Bychkov performance with the Paris orchestra on Arts tv late one night. I listened for a few seconds and decided to stay to the end. It was surprisingly good, the French woodwinds as distinctive as ever, and very gripping. Much more successful than his German DVD 'Vision Mahler' released a few years go

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 12:05:30 AM »
I've heard that same Paris performance on some radio broadcast as well. I agree. And it was very exciting too. "Exciting" is not usually a word I combine with "Bychkov" either.

Barry

Offline mahlerei

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 01:39:34 AM »
Agreed about Bychkov, he's not the most charismatic of conductors. One conductor I would like to hear in Mahler is Vladimir Jurowski. He has conducted a fine Das klagende lied with the LPO (available on DVD).

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 05:57:55 AM »
hey Karafan,

I read a very positive review of Bernstein's L'ORTF Mahler 2 in either BBC Magazine or Classic FM, while standing at the magazine rack at a Borders store in Palo Alto. So maybe I'm completely wrong, and will be happy for it.

Barry
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 06:07:25 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 04:04:26 PM »
Barry,

Or perhaps your intuition was accurate after all – Christopher Abbot panned it in the current Fanfare, reporting that the sound is very poor and in mono (not indicated on the packaging); that the playing is periodically pretty rough; and suggesting that the interpretation is but an early "blueprint" of Bernstein's conception of the work, for which his later stereo recordings supply life and color.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 05:04:52 PM »
I usually find that words like "historical" and "mono", combined with "Gustav Mahler", just don't mix  ;)

Offline mahlerei

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 05:35:14 PM »
It seems odd that anyone would want to release such a recording - Bychkov's - given that there are so many fine M2s available. And in mono, too. :(

As I mentioned earlier Bychkov's Vision Mahler DVD was quite interesting in that the abstract visuals are seen on a screen behind the orchestra. Mildly entertaining first time around but it's not something you'd want to watch again.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 05:36:59 PM by mahlerei »

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 09:35:06 AM »
If anyone retains an interest in this 1958 Bernstein M2 from France after all the discussion here and elsewhere, I see that it's already available from Berkshire for $15.98 (item no. 142561). Must not have been a big seller.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk