Author Topic: What are we listening to? (outside of Mahler)  (Read 29448 times)

Offline Don

Re: What are we listening to? (outside of Mahler)
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2008, 01:32:41 AM »
Sibelius Symphony # 5 with Vanska and the Lahti SO on BIS. Great performance. The original version is also included on the disc, but I prefer the later one in all cases.
M10 Fanatic!

Polarius T

« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2008, 10:12:09 AM »
Nice revival of an ancient (on the net things get old in 48 hrs) thread; I take this as a licence to fill in on a few spintime favorites of late:

By force of necessity (my 4-mth old son apparently loves the alto), the master improviser:

Talking about improvising, this guy is almost unreal; it's just stunning that this stuff is created on the spot, on a nanosecond decision-making basis (and I wonder how many of the classical musicians have a technique anwhere nearly as good as his!):

Another kiddie favorite that I, too, dig (my vocal jazz album of the year nominee):

But when the boy goes out for a walk with his mom, I've lately been putting on this, to air the room:

Otherwise, I'm exploring some new (for me) Takemitsu:

...and this fabulous new recording of Nono's magnum opus:

It’s a really good year for new music lovers: this superb new Lachenmann recording may be a bit harder than usual to get (it’s on one of these new orchestra-run labels, by the Ensemble Modern) but it’s certainly more than worth looking up, content- and engineering-wise:

I'm also enjoying some shimmering new works by my countryman, just for summer fun:

And I recently reacquired an old favorite in the pleasant-listening category (the Prokofiev):

...plus the two latest Mozart cto discs by Pollini -- simply peerless musicianship:

...but at nighttime I’ve been getting my doses of guilty pleasure gleaned from this one (the Tchaikovsky andante is quite amazingly done, and it’s Abbado’s only Shosty on record AFAIK):

And if that won't keep me awake long enough (what with these permanent parental sleep deficits), this jolt never fails (the creepiest version of the "Night on the Bare Mountain" existing, with the voices):

That's most of the most recent, I think. Every morning we start the day with some Bach, usually the "48" by Glenn Gould or Sviatoslav Richter, but as of late it's been either one of these:

Keeps the mind fresh, sentiments clear, and the spirit humble.

PT
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 10:17:16 AM by Polarius T »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2008, 02:31:25 PM »
Folks in the U.S. have had a tough time finding anything with Lifschitz. Next time, I'll recommend that they look for the Bach disc on-line.

Barry

Polarius T

« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2008, 06:31:13 PM »
Folks in the U.S. have had a tough time finding anything with Lifschitz.

Palexa has issued several recordings by Lifschitz, and IIRC they are next door to you guys (in Canada), which is how I found one of the discs I was after (at amazon.ca). -PT

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2008, 04:49:57 PM »
I have been "swimming" in the lush, but dark toned sounds of Dennis Wilson's only solo release...Pacific Ocean Blue.  Just this month the recording (with outtakes and previously unreleased songs from his unfinished "Bambu" album) was re-released on CD and a special 3 LP vinyl set.

Yes, this is the drummer of the Beach Boys, but somehow, he became a songwriter and producer in his own right, as witnessed by his work with the Beach Boys, and in this solo release from 1977. 

Dennis' music took time for me to appreciate...at least his BB work did...by the time I first heard Pacific Ocean Blue some years ago, I was somewhat prepared by hearing his songs on the Beach Boys "LA Light" album, and some of his very early work on the Beach Boys' "20/20" and "Sunflower" albums.  I think of his songs as tone poems...a heavy rock version of Liszt or Tchaikovsy's meandering romantic vast canvases...his work also sounds through-composed, with loose song structures.

As much as I love the "Pacific Ocean Blue" songs, I have been most impressed with the "Bambu" sessions, especially the brooding ballads with slow, funeral tempos...very interesting chord changes thoughout...."end of tether" singing...subject matter mostly revolves around sentimental songs about women, which I can dig big time (seems to be a Wilson brother trait).

The productions speak of their time....deep into the late 70's, but at the same time I've heard nothing like this. The arrangements are appropiately quite large to match the "need" or romanticism of the subject matter (love or sadness over a lady).

As mentioned above, the structures of the songs are also appropiately through-composed...like an improvisation never developed into a full song, and orchestrated in the midst of inspiration rather than careful planning. Therefore, the "seams" show, and thats what I love about it.

The vinyl set is an incredible listening experience. I have yet to do an A/B comparison with the CD, but it appears the exquisite sound is wider in dynamic range, and the sound picture is deeper overall...I was stunned, and listened almost through the whole 3 LP set in one sitting. The warmth and clarity of the sound is absolutely stunning. The dark tones are deep and resonant, rounded and full. The highs are clear, but welcoming to the ear, no sound of stress or fatigue on the ear. After listening I felt as if my ear had just soaked in a warm nourishing bath. It's a grand experience in every way...an epic journey.

And the packaging is grand in every way, with much care in the design and the extra 2 page photo spread booklet (with POP lyrics on the back page) is a nice touch. Dennis's "thank note" is on a separate card. The vinyl is a deep blue...just beautiful.

--Todd

Offline sbugala

« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2008, 04:49:21 AM »
Erin Bode, the Little Garden:

It may not be available, except through her website.  She had a cd release party, and a friend picked up her album for me.  I don't know if she has a national following, but I like her music. It's a great album. I guess she's jazz.  Whatever she sings, I like her.  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk