Author Topic: Best (!!) M.9  (Read 17107 times)

Stefano

Re: Best (!!) M.9
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2007, 02:19:34 PM »
Anyone of you have mentioned Rattle/VPO. My champion in M9 is Giulini, but my second pick is Rattle's version, along with Levine/Philly.
Ciao, Stefano.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2007, 03:55:28 PM »
Anyone of you have mentioned Rattle/VPO. My champion in M9 is Giulini, but my second pick is Rattle's version, along with Levine/Philly.
Ciao, Stefano.
Uhm... Rattle/VPO/EMI, but aren't you bothered by the sonics? It's terrible...

John,

Stefano

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2007, 05:49:11 PM »
Uhm... Rattle/VPO/EMI, but aren't you bothered by the sonics? It's terrible...

John,
[/quote]

Yes, it's a live recording and the sonics isn't so good, but - compared with Giulini or Levine - is decent. In this moment, I don't remember a great, great M9 with excellent sound quality, sob!!
Inbal or Bruno Walter, perhaps  ;) 
Stefano.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2007, 02:33:49 PM »
I like Rattle's conducting as well. The VPO play with a passion too. But the balances are kind of a mess. The horns are too loud, and it sounds as though a main microphone were right over the tuba. It sounds as though they let 8 or 9 horns play that day (the piece calls for four).

Wunderhorn

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2007, 02:13:31 AM »
:-[
For starters, there are far too many top ranking recordings for there to be one ultimate recording. With Mahler being as popular as he is, there are a couple top ranking recording a year of M9. It is becoming absurd now, not to mention extremely decadent.
:-[

Ivor

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2007, 11:43:24 AM »
Sorry for the delay and here's what the BBC reviewer said. Incidentally,the remit is to choose a performance for a record library. Many reviewers virtually pick up to half-a-dozen by means of runners-up,best choices at full-, mid-, and bargain price plus DVDs now.

And I've noticed that several posters here have picked their no.1 too.

Ist movement.

Karajan.About one passage,the violins are playing too loud. With K.,everything is smoothed over.

bernstein - occasionally,they're not playing what's written.

Giulini. it's "the slowest on record (pause) and it feels like it." tho' if you want M. as tho' it were Bruckner,elegaically,then he's very good.

Bertini,Ozawa,Levine and Tennstedt are conceptions rather like Giulini.

Horenstein '66/BBBSO. The bass clarinet goes missing completely "and his earlier recording is no better."

Barbirolli.  trumpet misses one bar,and sounds unsafe in the next. The violins sound like "they're skating on thin ice"

Then he said,"This is how it goes",and played
Kondrashin whose orchestra plays with force and "the height of virtuosity",then

Barshai, good if not reach the level of Kondrashin's orchestra.

He did a riff about orchestra for a long time objecting to having to play "this rubbish" and the attitude showing up in their plating. So,

Walter  late 30s . The VPO "sound like they're sight-reading"

Mitropoulos,Klemperer,Rattle and Maazel don't sound much better, in terms of accuracy

MTThomas and SFSO don't dig deep. For a passage of scariness,the performance "wouldn't scare the skin off a rice pudding."

Kubelik  brings more of the sense of the sinister.

maderna  has fine playing from "exuberant BBC horns"

Abbado and GMYouthO  really "lays into the march".

2nd Movement

Mahler insists on the movement should sound like a rough and peasant dance.

Boulez sounds "far too artful"

Walter early 60s "shows he hadn't lost his sense of humour - authentic in the best sense." the playing of the CSO not too secure.

Sinopoli   goes in for "self-conscious galumphing"

At the end,Kubelik finds the right sense of dissolution.

3rd Movement

Barenboim   is "literal and small-scale" as tho' he'd rather it was more like a 2-part invention.

Ancerl     His "skill is simply to let the contradictions (in the musical argument) speak for themselves."

Few conductors give the impression of looking like they are losing control at the movement's end.
Abbado and Bernstein/conzertgebouw do,by contrast.

4th Movement

Abbado/BPO  "nobody matches the BPO strings"

Bernstein/VPO  "nobody matches Bernstein's magnetism, and this is the DVD choice.

Ancerl's players  play "with noble purity that I find more durable than on more overtly exquisite alternatives,

so Ancerl is the mid-price choice.

"The greatest performances bed their tempo to our receptive inclinations,allowing us to understand the work in different lights according to our own states,whether they seek catharsis or consolation. Abbado's recording (the live one from '99) does this.
    "More than any other conductor,Abbado does what mahler asks for on every page,yet is able to carvs something unique out of this careful attendance."

There you go.

I think it's a useful programme if you use it right. The reviewers are usually very sharp about deficiencies,and listen very closely,a good teaching-one-to-listen aid. There are good examples above.

my biggest beef is that  the qualities and insights of the dismissed performances are barely pointed to,and i think that's a different prog.

My second-biggest (I have two !) is that performance is the thing almost more than the music (tho' that's again a poiint of the prog !!)

davidalt

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2007, 05:15:03 PM »
Good morning,
I'm new here. I see praises for Bernstein's Mahler 9 on Memories. Can anyone tell me about the sound quality of that performance?  For that matter, what about that label generally? I'm also looking at Tennstedt's Beethoven performances there. Thanks.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2007, 05:59:13 PM »
Welcome to the Mahler board!

As I said previously, the (stereo) sound quality of Lenny/BSO M9 on Memories label is pretty good, much better than the previous release on another pirate label, Sadarna. They apparently did a 24 bit remastering for this latest release. The recording level of the first movt. is somewhat lower than the other three movts. but otherwise it is a decent stereo recording from 1979.

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk