Author Topic: DH gives a glowing 9/9 to Zinman's new M3rd SACD  (Read 13616 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Re: DH gives a glowing 9/9 to Zinman's new M3rd SACD
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2008, 01:26:46 PM »
John,

I'm sorry that I've gotten so testy on this topic. As I look back, it's ridiculous that l let myself get worked up. I'm going through a number of difficult financial and family problems at this time. I shouldn't let those strains influence how I respond on this board. But I really do feel that Zinman's M3 is pretty good. After hearing his truly nice M1, I felt that he would do a good M3. However, there are certainly a good number of other, equally fine Mahler 3's out there - just as you pointed out.

Barry

Offline John Kim

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2008, 03:47:06 PM »
Barry,

No need to worry. Happily, I've been really warmed up to the Zinman M3rd for the past few days. When I increased the volume the sound became fuller, with lots of details coming through. In this recording Zinman's orchestra sounds like a perfect foil to RCO; they are smooth, precise and burnished. I wish Zinman took his time in IV. but the deep bells in the following movt. sound truly great. Neither too short, nor dragging, the final is another hightlight of this recording. I'd put it far ahead of Haitink/CSO, Zander, Lopez-Cobos, Litton, and many other recent ones, and the sound (heard at a high volume) is simply unbeatable.

I am also listening to Zinman's M2nd lately. I know there must be good reasons why you raved about this so am trying to find my ways to them.

Regards,

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2008, 04:56:11 PM »
It's interesting about Zinman's M2 and M3...they really have a unique sound...and are always worth returning to.

I find Zinman's M2 and M3 quite thoughtful and subtle, only this time he does pull out the stops when needed.  The architecture of the performance of each impresses on more listens.  In both the playing is quite beautiful and radiant.

--Todd

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk