Author Topic: Zinman M6: A Keeper  (Read 4888 times)

Offline Michael

• Adagio Appassionato, Addolorato A Niente
    • My Railroad Audio Recordings
Zinman M6: A Keeper
« on: July 07, 2009, 07:29:52 PM »
Hi guys,

I baught and downloaded the new Zinman M6 at about 12:10 AM this morning (I rearranged my sleep schedule so I'd be awake enough to listen to it) from Amazon.com's MP3 store.  And, although I have not listened to each movement completely, I am impressed by what I've heard so far.
In many instances in all of the movements, I have noticed little details of the music that I have not noticed before under other conductors.  For example: the string playing is more defined and noticeable, as is the percussion.  And, by the way, the first movement does contain an exposition repeat--something that was apparently omitted in Mr. Zinman's earlier Baltimore recording.

The Andante is a bit more heart-felt than some others I have heard, but not as sentimental as Lenny--no surprise there.  Again, the orchestral balance is better than most other recordings I have heard.

The Scherzo is on the slower end of the scale, but from the onset--with the timps pounding away--one perfectly gets the feeling of a movement straight from a nightmare.  The starting tempo is somewhat like Barbirolli, if that gives any indication.

The Finale is just as good as the rest of the piece.  I read something about Mr. Zinman's Baltimore M6 having "Extended" hammer blows.  Well, I don't know if "extended" is the word I would use to describe the two hammer strokes in this recording, but the sound certainly does linger a bit, especially after the first blow.  My only real complaint with the Finale is the way Mr. Zinman conducts the final closing chord--the fate motif on Timpani at the end of the Finale is just about as fast as it is played in the context of the first movement.  Overall, it's a great performance, and I have a feeling that Mr. Zinman knew what he was doing ending the Finale the way he did--perhaps for contrast?

The bottom line...this is a Mahler 6 that will take its place with Bernstein, Zander, and Barbirolli as a rather different interpretation--one that I most definitely will listen to again.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 12:09:56 AM by AMTK62 »
Michael

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Zinman M6: A Keeper
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 11:51:57 PM »
I really like it a lot. I have high hopes for Zinman's 7th and 8th too. John Kim will be pulling for his 9th to be good.

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 04:53:19 AM »
The Zinman M6 continues to grow in stature as I return to it again and again...is M3 is also a crown jewel in this Mahler cycle.  But don't forget his unique way with the M2, which has a marvelous, radiant finale...

I still have yet to hear his M1 and M5, which I now have and hope to listen to soon.

--Todd

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 05:50:39 AM »
By the way, the "greatly extended" hammer strokes in his Baltimore M6 recording are achieved electronically. He did the same thing here, in San Francisco, about a dozen years ago. It sounded as though a bombed had been detonated under the stage; twice! It was a bit over-the-top, but fun to experience, none the less.

Barry
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 06:04:31 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Michael

• Adagio Appassionato, Addolorato A Niente
    • My Railroad Audio Recordings
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 12:14:36 AM »
Barry or anyone else...got recordings of these "electronic" events?  I'm very curious as to what that sounded like.

I assume that this M6 is only new to the MP3 download world?  I checked on iTunes and it was only just released yesterday (I wonder if that was intentionally done on his birthday?) and Amazon MP3 was also a yesterday release.
Michael

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 06:05:18 AM »
Contact me privately. I can burn you a copy of the Baltimore recording. Believe me, it's good fun.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk