General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

Should I 'pull the trigger' on a possible purchase?

(1/3) > >>

barryguerrero:
Since I have Amazon Prime, I could buy the Jansons BR Klassik box set of Mahler symphonies on a six month, no interest installment of 10-something dollars per month. That's pretty cheap. If I do buy it, I may want to sell off or donate my Pierre Boulez Mahler box (which is in pristine shape). I have the Boulez M3 in an sacd/cd hybird issue, plus a 'burn job' of a live Boulez/V.P.O. M3 from Carnegie Hall. I also have a separate issue of the excellent Boulez/V.P.O. M6. I would just need to buy a separate used issue of the Boulez/Cleveland "DKW"/M10 Adagio disc - possibly the best issue from the entire Boulez cycle.

What do you folks think?  .   .   .  I just have a feeling I would play the Jansons/BRSO ones a lot more often. I won't miss the Boulez "DLvdE" because I really don't like either singer on that issue.

John Kim:
I like the M1, 3, 5, 6, 8 in the set very much. But the rest isn't too far behind. The 8th is a straight reading but it is very musical (Gramophone praised it highly too). The sonics are really really good too. I don't think you'll regret purchasing it.

John

barryguerrero:
Thanks for your input John. The "Boulez Conducts Mahler" set is now up to nearly $80 for a used copy at Amazon. It's not available on CD's through Presto Classical either; just downloads. Therefore, I would ideally would like to get $45 to 50 for my copy. It's in pristine condition. If you know anyone who might be interested, let me know.

Barry

erikwilson7:
I say go for it. It's honestly very good. You probably won't regret it at all and that's a good price from Amazon.

That being said, I prefer Boulez to pretty much all of the Jansons/BRSO recordings. Just my taste, though. I couldn't part with that Boulez box.

Be ready for the eventual Vanska and Bychkov boxes though, if you're interested.

barryguerrero:
I'm thinking I should hang on to that Boulez box also. I do have space in my bed's pull-out drawer where I keep my box sets. It's not anywhere near filled up. I like Janson's tempo relationships, for the most part. Sometimes his work can sound a bit too light weight. Jansons has very good singers. Boulez does also, for the most part, but I don't care for the singers on his "DLvdE". That's just one bad apple in the whole set. I think the Boulez/V.P.O. M2 is a weak link as well. However, the playing throughout his cycle is spot on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version