General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

Hey folks, any BPO reviews? Dudamel M3? Rattle's M7 or M8?

<< < (5/6) > >>

erikwilson7:
Yup, agreed about Dudamel. I’ve said this on this board before: everyone has their hits and misses but Dudamel’s hits are REALLY good.

barryguerrero:
Eric, have you listened to the Dudamel/B.P.O. M3 yet?    .    .    .   I think it's pretty darn good, and competitive with the best. It's easily the best one I've heard with the B.P.O. - more muscular and interesting sounding than the Abbado, that's for sure.

erikwilson7:
I know I tend to use superlatives a lot, but this recording is absolutely fantastic. It may be my new favorite recording of M3, and I think it stands with the best. Too early to tell, but it may become one of the great M3s.

barryguerrero:
I need to listen to it in full, but what I heard sounded great. Dave Hurwitz always brings up the alternating salvos between the tam-tam and suspended cymbals, during the middle section of the choral "bim-bam" movement. He sure as heck couldn't complain about that here! The start and the end of the scherzo movement is just amazing.

erikwilson7:
The Harding M1 is next. First movement as a sample is out on Spotify. I actually think this movement in particular sounds very good. The last few minutes are exciting as hell.

Let’s hope the rest sounds as good as this. A mediocre third movement will usually spoil it for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version