Author Topic: World economy crisis hitting hard here too?  (Read 4710 times)

Offline John Kim

World economy crisis hitting hard here too?
« on: April 12, 2009, 12:36:09 AM »
I have noticed not many messages are being uploaded nowadays on the board. Actually, I am not receiving that many messages either from the Mahler List.

So, I wonder if this is a result of the current economy crisis hitting hard us here as well as the rest of the world??? ::) :-[ :-X

If so, this is getting quite depressing.

Let's cheer up ourselves, shall we? :-* >:( ;D

John,

Offline Don

Re: World economy crisis hitting hard here too?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 01:59:01 AM »
I have had little to add, Mahler wise, except that I am getting to see some of the concerts in NYC in May titled Mahler in Sequence. I'll have lots to talk about then!
M10 Fanatic!

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 05:25:41 AM »
The crisis definitely has a negative effect on the number of the postings. Personally, it had my blood pressure and cholesterol go up, according to my latest blood sample test  :-[ :-\

But I am pretty upset that my mentality has been affected by it. >:(

John,
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 05:32:58 AM by John Kim »

Mackjay

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 01:58:57 PM »
I think for some of us being disturbed by world events can make us want to escape more into pastimes like message boards.
But I actually doubt that the economic crisis has much to do with activity on this board. I think people periodically run out of topics to bring up. We still some topics being posted now, but I have noted on other message boards over the years that it runs more or less in cycles: people get excited again and start posting more. then the steam runs out for a while.
We all know Mahler's work so well and have discussed so many different angles. I think some of us wait for newcomers to come up with new approaches, or even just a new recording to hear and discuss.

john haueisen

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 03:05:06 PM »
Yes, John, I've noticed the reduced number of postings in the past couple of months.
Perhaps, as Mackjay says, it is simply a lack of anything immediately new to say.
Or is the economic situation distracting us? 
Must be true, because I see it's led me to merely restating your question.

--John H

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 03:22:48 PM »
The number of Mahler recordings being released is a bit lower this year. If you pick up the two that are being released this coming week, Ivan Fischer/Channel Classics M4 and Gergiev/LSO M8, I guarantee that you'll want to talk about them.   ;)

Barry

Offline Russ Smiley

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 01:15:41 AM »
I'm doing my small part to keep the economy rolling: today Amazon wrote that they've shipped my Gergiev/LSO M8.  I've also been listening to my Schwarz/RLPO M6, so maybe I will have something to write about.
Russ Smiley

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 07:29:52 AM »
I've just been really busy in school with some animation projects...and I've been busy listening to other music...Bob Dylan, sunshine pop from late 60's, early 70's...and hundreds of singles from the 70's...:o  Listening the Schwarz's new M6 has got me back to Mahler this past week though!

--Todd

« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 07:39:37 AM by Leo K »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk