Author Topic: Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra performs "Das Lied Von Der Erde" 11-22-14  (Read 4002 times)

Offline sbugala

Friends,
    I'll be attending the Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra's performance of Das Lied Von Der Erde, Saturday, 11-22. Susan Graham and Paul Groves are the singers, with David Robertson conducting.  The concert starts off with Schumann's Cello Concerto; which I could take or leave. If you happen to be near a computer, you can look for KWMU via various sites, or  pick KWMU 1 or "Click to listen in your browser" here http://www.stlpublicradio.org/listen.php. I look forward to your thoughts. It all starts at 8pm Central Time.

Offline barry guerrero

Curious to know your thoughts on this performance (?).

Offline sbugala

I thought it was better than the one I heard 9 years ago with Stewart Skelton and Michelle DeYoung. Graham did and exceptional job. Der Abschied was the highlight, with some beautiful, but chilling playing. Groves was good, but Robertson could've pulled things back in the opening song. Groves kinda got swallowed up. Balances got better with him on the other songs.  If I could've teleported back to the hall, I would've gone back the next afternoon just to hear the last movement again. I taped if off the radio, unto videotape...which is great because it holds more than the standard audio cassette. However, my VCR is acting kinda iffy. So, I don't want to risk another playback until I get a different one switched into my system. The audience seemed to really appreciate the performance. There was an older couple next to me, and I don't think they knew a note of Mahler's music before that concert. But they walked away impressed.

Offline barry guerrero

It's interesting that Graham wants to do Mahler now. I thought she was close to awful on that disc of orchestral songs with MTT/SFSO. She sounds a bit better on the Zinman "DLvdE". Maybe she's growing into German singing. She's really good at French stuff, so I'd hate to see her get too far away from that sound and style.

Offline sbugala

I kinda give up on MTT's cycle, so I didn't get to hear that particular disc. I bought her Zinman Erde as a download, but I haven't had a chance to hear it yet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk