Author Topic: National Youth Orchestra of Canada M6  (Read 3555 times)

Offline Michael

• Adagio Appassionato, Addolorato A Niente
    • My Railroad Audio Recordings
National Youth Orchestra of Canada M6
« on: February 06, 2010, 04:03:49 AM »
I just purchassed the album "Selections from the National Tour 2009" by the National Youth Orchestra of Canada and Alain Trudel.  Included in this album--the main reason I bought it--is a performance of M6.  The timings are:
I-Allegro Energico.  22:56
II-Scherzo.  13:38
III-Andante Moterato. 14:57
IV-Finale. 29:23

I am listening to the first movement...and let me say...wow!  I would not know this was a youth orchestra by the playing.  The sonics are great, too.

Has anyone heard this performance or know of how this conductor is as a Mahler interpreter?

Thanks,
Michael
Michael

Offline James Meckley

Re: National Youth Orchestra of Canada M6
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 04:40:23 AM »
I am listening to the first movement...and let me say...wow!  I would not know this was a youth orchestra by the playing.

I think the term "youth orchestra" here may be a bit misleading. The upper age limit of this group is 28, so it's not what we commonly think of as a youth orchestra—one made up of students from several local high schools—but a sort of pre-professional training orchestra, more like the New World Symphony in Miami or the Civic Orchestra in Chicago.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline John Kim

Re: National Youth Orchestra of Canada M6
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 07:19:37 PM »
Speaking of unknown orchestras and conductors, I have M6, M7 by Denis Zsoltay and South German Philharmonic Orch. They are both pretty good.

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk