Author Topic: a Barshai M6 w/ fast timings for the inner movements  (Read 4656 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: a Barshai M6 w/ fast timings for the inner movements
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 08:26:50 AM »
Asahina's M6 (Andante mov.) from 1992 (Osaka Phil.) is 12:44 and I love it. I'm starting to crave fast M6's now.

--Todd

Offline wagnerlover

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 06:32:19 PM »
I believer Barshai's M9 is on the fast side too.
db

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 07:31:13 PM »
The Russians typically do the 9th on the fast side, for some reason.

Offline umbernisitani

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 02:53:37 AM »
Sorry to resurrect this post.  I've just bought a copy of this disc and heard it once through.  I'm glad to report that this is without doubt a great Mahler 6th.  Granitic, serious and trenchant, if Klemperer had done a Mahler 6th, I think it would have sounded like this.  The orchestra plays terrific throughout (yes, minor slips in the brass; no, nothing major and certainly forgivable in a one-take live performance), and the percussion is fantastic (the tam-tam player is so loud in the finale he almost covers the second hammer--he deserves a raise!).  Speaking of the percussion, the rute in the middle of the finale (accompanying the furious fast string-led march) is replaced with a snare drum for some reason.  Sound is crystal clear but extremely dry, which renders the string sound somewhat wiry.

About the tempo: besides the Andante Moderato, which is probably the fastest around at 12:12, the other movements are pretty normal in tempo, and the first movement is on the slow side.  By taking the Andante Moderato at such a speed Barshai seems to emphasize this symphony's lineage from Beethoven and even Haydn or Mozart:  very flowing and light, but never lacking in angst in the climax or bitter-sweetness in the phrasing.  One of my favorite renditions of this movement.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 02:55:52 AM by umbernisitani »

Offline AZContrabassoon

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 12:13:34 AM »
For the past 50-60 years conductors have been slowing down. Performance tempos in 1900 were noticeably quicker than today. And Andante isn't Adagio or Lento or Largo. That's why the quicker tempos on the Adagietto of the 5th are so compelling. I need to hear the Barshai 6th now. His 5th is superb.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 10:23:30 AM »
Yes, but here's the irony: everybody is making a huge deal about doing the Adagietto quicker because of the fast timings of Mahler (on the mechanical piano thingee), Mengelberg and Walter [all of whom just sound wrong to me]. Yet, the words "sehr langsam" are all over the place in the score. While on the other hand, with the Andante Moderato of M6, the word "langsam" isn't even written once in the score. Yet, nobody makes a big deal about some conductors stretching it to 17 or 18 minutes (which just sounds awful). So once again, the focus is completely misguided.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk