Author Topic: Ozawa/Saito Kinen Orch./Sony M9th Blue-ray spec. disc  (Read 5029 times)

Offline John Kim

Ozawa/Saito Kinen Orch./Sony M9th Blue-ray spec. disc
« on: February 19, 2010, 06:44:54 PM »
Some time ago I acquired the Blue-ray spec. disc of Ozawa's second recording of Mahler Ninth. I haven't had a chance to listen until now. Previously, I also owned a regular CD of the same recording. But I must say this Blue-ray version blows me away in every aspect - clarity, dynamic range, impact, warmth, details. As a result, I've become very partial to Ozawa's second go at the symphony with his own orchestra which seemed to lack the last degree of refinement and lung power but now sounds magnificent in this edition.

In the Finale I still favor Ozawa's first recording with BOS, but the new recording has a tad more intensity in I. and III. and the climaxes in I. are better handled this time; the tam tam, timpani and low brass at the main climax will blow your socks off.

All in all, a top notch M9th.

Here is DH's review:

http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=5047

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: Ozawa/Saito Kinen Orch./Sony M9th Blue-ray spec. disc
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 08:35:01 PM »
I love this M9...thanks for bringing it up!

The climaxes in the first movement are indeed very powerful.  I don't have the Blue Ray-Spec version but it still sounds pretty good sonically thanks to the usual high standards of the Japanese releases.

--Todd

Offline ctcdaggett

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 09:31:26 PM »
John et al, I think this is not a "Blue-Ray", but a Japan Blu-Spec, if you are referring to Sony SICC 20006-7.

bob berkman

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 09:34:24 PM »
Todd,

Here is another heads up from me. ;D ;)

The sound of the Blue-ray spec. CD significantly improves upon the regular CD. It was this version that finally made me fully appreciate the recording.

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 09:35:46 PM »
John et al, I think this is not a "Blue-Ray", but a Japan Blu-Spec, if you are referring to Sony SICC 20006-7.

bob berkman
You're right. It's NOT a Blue-ray disc. It's a Blue-ray spec. CD that's playable on normal CD players.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 05:40:48 AM »
Because John Kim and I attended a magnificent "live" performance of M9 with Ozawa/SKO at S.F.'s Davies Hall, I pretty much have put the 9th symphony to bed now. But I should also explain that the mostly Asian audience was dead silent through ALL of the really soft moments in the symphony. How often is THAT ever going to happen? Good memories, indeed.

Barry

Offline John Kim

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 06:08:39 AM »
Because John Kim and I attended a magnificent "live" performance of M9 with Ozawa/SKO at S.F.'s Davies Hall, I pretty much have put the 9th symphony to bed now. But I should also explain that the mostly Asian audience was dead silent through ALL of the really soft moments in the symphony. How often is THAT ever going to happen? Good memories, indeed.

Barry
Yes, that was an excellent concert. I still have a vivid memory of that night in SF. In some ways this performance was even better than the one on record.

BTW, get the Blue-ray spec. CD by all means. The difference between the two versions is more significant than difference between a SACD and a CD. For one thing, the highs have stronger presence and there is more ambiance as well as wider dynamic rangel. Until now, I always preferred Ozawa's BSO recording over this one. But not anymore!

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk