Author Topic: My recent Mahler acquisitions  (Read 10621 times)

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
Re: My recent Mahler acquisitions
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 08:01:44 PM »
I have a 16-week old daughter...
Cheers!
Freddy

Congratulations!!!  I have a 7 year old daughter and a 6 year old son.  Try playing the opening of the M1 finale for her and let me know how it goes!   ;)

Actually, my kids have become pretty adept at knowing when I play Mahler -- although they have a 90+% chance of being right when I play classical music. 
Scott

Offline Zoltan

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 05:55:29 PM »
Was there for the Sunday performance of M8 in Amsterdam under Jansons. It was only my third live M8 (second was Boulez/Staatskapelle) and it was definitely something very special. I never experienced such a hushed audience! Either they really respect the orchestra and Jansons or they felt as well, that a M8 is something extraordinary whenever it happens. And Robert Dean Smith was, I think, even a bit better than last I saw him live with Boulez. The choirs weren't big, but my, was the hall filled with sound (my first time in the Concertgebouw; it really has a fantastic sound)! I had the feeling the brass had to watch how loud they're playing, resulting with a nice glowing sound that organically rises just above the orchestra when needed. I recorded from a Dutch radio the concert stream, but it's in wma format (Windows Media Audio) but VLC should be able to play it even for those on other than Windows platform (let me know if there's interest).

I can tell you, that cameras were there and from a posting on the orchestra's Facebook page it is obvious that it wasn't only for a TV broadcast, but for a DVD: "Massive stage for Mahler 8 and it will be expanded with lights and cameras on Friday for the dvd recording...".

Oh, Barry, I'm sure you know the orchestra's Dvorak recordings with Harnoncourt? The bass drum in "The Water Goblin" still chills me to the bone and I never heard such great bassoon playing (among many other fantastic woodwind solo's), as in these recordings. But yeah, why not play all the Dvorak symphonies?

Offline Graf Danilo

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 07:43:32 PM »
I attended the same performance of M8 in Amsterdam! and when it finished I was in tears... It was my fourth M8 live, and for sure one of the deepest Mahler experiences in my life. I'll be back in Amsterdam this weekend to celebrate the centennial with Haitink's performance of M9 on Sunday, and Gerd Albrecht conducting of M2 on Saturday.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 09:03:58 PM »
"Oh, Barry, I'm sure you know the orchestra's Dvorak recordings with Harnoncourt? The bass drum in "The Water Goblin" still chills me to the bone and I never heard such great bassoon playing (among many other fantastic woodwind solo's), as in these recordings. But yeah, why not play all the Dvorak symphonies"

Yep, I own the Dvorak tone poems with Harnoncourt. Definitely proto-Mahler.

Offline Michael

• Adagio Appassionato, Addolorato A Niente
    • My Railroad Audio Recordings
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 09:30:22 PM »
Freddy, thanks for your reply on the Saraste M9.  Having heard mostly the Finale, I agree there are some good moments.
Michael

Offline Michael

• Adagio Appassionato, Addolorato A Niente
    • My Railroad Audio Recordings
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 09:33:30 PM »
Please do report on the Haitink M9, as I am going to see his performance with the CSO in June and would like to know what I'm getting.  ;-)
Michael

Offline John Kim

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 07:25:44 PM »
Please do report on the Haitink M9, as I am going to see his performance with the CSO in June and would like to know what I'm getting.  ;-)
Let's hope that CSO will record the Haitink M9th concert this time.

M9th is way overdue for him to re-record.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk