Author Topic: Barbirolli live Proms M6 (1967)  (Read 3364 times)

Offline Karafan

Barbirolli live Proms M6 (1967)
« on: August 06, 2009, 12:34:57 PM »
Greetings all!

I have just ordered Barbirolli's live 1967 Proms M6 with the New Philharmonia on Testament.  Not sure if this is a new release or somehow just slipped through my net. http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//SBT1451.htm

I liked his EMI studio version with the same players (he set a peculiar pace in parts but, as so often with Glorious John, it seems to work, for me at least) and the word is that this one has the edge.  I dare say there will be a bit more vocalise on this one(!) but I can forgive him that when he is clearly so devoted to the music.

Sleeve note/PR: "By the time of this BBC Henry Wood Proms performance in August 1967, Barbirolli’s grasp of the work was complete. The result is a performance of electrifying insight and interpretative mastery – the New Philharmonia Orchestra at its very best. This live performance is demonstrably superior in several respects to the studio version, living proof of Barbirolli’s greatness, his intensity and sensitivity, as a Mahler interpreter."

Anyone heard it/got it?  I will report back after a listening.

Karafan

Offline John Kim

Re: Barbirolli live Proms M6 (1967)
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 04:26:18 PM »
I once owned this recording on an Italian pirate label.

Although my memory is vague, I don't recall being particularly impressed with it.

But they could be right...who knows?

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk