General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

Anyone heard M9 Neumann/Czech PO on Canyon/Exton?

<< < (2/3) > >>

sperlsco:

--- Quote from: John Kim on January 04, 2007, 08:10:02 PM ---Scott,

Where is the (Japanese?) website that says this M9th will come out as SACD?

--- End quote ---

Here it is:

http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail/2508341

John Kim:
Scott,

The Neumann/CPO/Canyon/Exton Mahler CDs were made using 24 bit technique. Will SACD format improve the sound of the recordings? If yes, how?

John,

sperlsco:

--- Quote from: John Kim on January 10, 2007, 01:08:29 AM ---Scott,

The Neumann/CPO/Canyon/Exton Mahler CDs were made using 24 bit technique. Will SACD format improve the sound of the recordings? If yes, how?

John,

--- End quote ---

It should.   Remember, a CD is 16 bit/44 kHz technology, so a 24/96 (or other higher rez) recording is down-sampled for a CD.  An SACD is capable of containing all of the information contained in a 24/96 recording.  In fact, there are many SACD's that are original 24 bit PCM recordings. 

sbugala:
I didn't get to see if this was the SACD version or not. I guess it's moot since I don't have an SACD player anymore, but I requested this from my library as an inter-library loan...and I have to say I'm impressed. Beautiful! Great sound, and people have said. Excellent playing. The climax of the first movement has plenty of power, but there's eloquence when needed. I love the quick tempo for the 2nd movement. I'd prefer a little more power/savagery in the 3rd movement, but the interlude in the middle is magical. No problems with the final movement. Thanks for your thoughts from sooooooo long ago. I consulted this because I got to wondering about it after hearing Dave Hurwitz mention it in one of his videos.

John Kim:
Yes, the Canyon (or Exton) Neumann/CPO M9th is the best of his 3 recordings and surely among the most beautiful Mahler recordings out there.

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version