Author Topic: Bernstein/DG Mahler Box Set - My First Impressions  (Read 12036 times)

Offline Damfino

Re: Bernstein/DG Mahler Box Set - My First Impressions
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 07:45:47 PM »
EDIT: Another plus for the new set—DG's irritating practice of assigning multiple track numbers to a single movement (for purposes of analysis?) has been eliminated in all but Symphony No. 8.

James

I actually like that multiple track thing. it is a good way to compare specific parts of recordings; as you say, for analysis. However, I do think DGG often overuses it. I would only use that feature on epic movements like M2's finale, Beethoven's 9th finale, etc.

I remember that my first CD player in 1985 or so, which was a Pioneer had an Index feature. Certain CDs in the early days of CD used to have additional track markers within each track called indexes. You could hit the Index button and advance to those tracks-within-a-track. Too bad that feature never caught on.

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 08:38:21 PM »
I remember that my first CD player in 1985 or so, which was a Pioneer had an Index feature. Certain CDs in the early days of CD used to have additional track markers within each track called indexes. You could hit the Index button and advance to those tracks-within-a-track. Too bad that feature never caught on.

Yes, Index points were a sensible way of allowing for intra-track access. Telarc and Denon both seemed quite committed to them for a while, then they were gradually phased out as fewer and fewer players were able to deal with them. I had a Philips-based Mission player and a couple of Sonys that would do Indexes, and then no more.

I dislike Track numbers used this way because, when I want to hear the second movement of something and push [2], I'll get some random spot in the first movement. Then I have to either push >> an indeterminate number of times, or go consult the CD booklet to discover that I should really have pushed [7]. Admittedly, a minor issue.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline John Kim

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 05:24:20 PM »
I went to a local CD store and had a chance to check the new Lenny/Mahler/DG box set. Unfortunately, nowhere on the box cover it says the original recordings have been digitally remastered for this reissue.

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk