Author Topic: Chung/SPO/Lang/Lee/DG Mahler Symphony No. 2 - My first impression (revised)  (Read 5642 times)

Offline John Kim

Chung/SPO/Lang/Lee/DG Mahler Symphony No. 2 'Resurrection' CD:

I listened to the first movt. of Chung/SPO M2nd CD. The rich and rock solid sonority of the orchestra is quite ear-catching, while Chung's reading is, as I expected, temporally flexible, texturally rich, his concept of the music grand in scale but minute in details. The recording sound tops the previous in M1st with a huge dynamic range and more open sound stage that adds to the scale and scope of this mammoth symphony.

The rest of the performance goes equally well. The Finale is rendered very broadly clocking near 38 min. But Chung fills up the void in this long movement with many finely tuned details. His former experience in the French repertoire must have helped achieve the level of panache and refinement that are so well on display in this recording. Under his baton, the Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra literally burnishes, glows, and rocks.

I have one minor reservation: the pure orchestral passage in the final pages of the symphony sounds somewhat anticlimactic. Whether it was Chung's decision or some engineering issue, I don't know. Still, the excellent orchestra, chorus, and soloists together pack plenty of emotions here. The organ is there but is rather weak (as in most recordings).

Great job all around!

I shall give another listen soon.

NOTE: this recording was produced and engineered by the renowned producer, Michael Fine whom I met yesterday. He is with the orchestra in Seattle for their concert (tonight). I will get to see their rehearsal this afternoon.

NOTE: Now that I have listened through my headphones, I stand corrected about my last statement: Chung's slight down-scaling in the last pages of the score is a stroke of genius! As in Klemperer's celebrated EMI recording with Philharmonia Orchestra and Abbado's razor sharp Chicago version on DG, maestro Chung's emphasis is in the main part, i.e., the chorus & orchestra combined that precedes the pure orchestra passage. Here, aided by the outstanding singing from the chorus and soloists all of whom sing like Angles in the Heaven, and the finely tuned orchestra, he achieves s state of true exaltation and apotheosis. Chung's arguments is then, after such an elevation what follows in the final (the pure orchestral) pages should be a wrap-up rather than another climax. And he's done just that quite nicely.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 04:08:35 PM by John Kim »

Offline Constantin

Thanks, John, for a very helpful review.
I can't wait to hear the entire Chung's M2.
Und ruh' in einem stillen Gebiet

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Thanks John, I just got this recording and was wondering what the board thought.

--Todd

Offline John Kim

My HMV.co.jp review:

"In the opening funeral movement, the rich and rock solid sound of the orchestra is quite ear-catching. To borrow some critic’s word, it is ’beefy’, a quality that is hard to find in Asian orchestras. Based on this and previous CD releases that feature Chung/SPO, it is clear that under maestro Chung’s leadership the Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra has grown into a world class ensemble with the unique sonority and high discipleship. Chung’s reading is, as expected, temporally flexible, texturally rich and precise, his concept of the music grand in scale but minute in details. This is a big, hugely romantic view of Resurrection Symphony where memories of dead man’s life are cherished with much sympathy and respect: the opening Allegro motif in the low strings, which is usually sprung with great attack, has never sounded warmer but also clearer thanks to Chung’s slow than normal tempo that allows the series of dotted notes sound exactly as written in the score. In the development, there is a certain tranquility shimmering and hanging like a ghost. Listen how the horns, trumpets register in the extraordinarily controlled pianissimo. Yet, when the score calls for utmost strength in tutti passages, e.g., the main climax that leads up to the recapitulation, the orchestra explodes with all hands breaking loose. It is to Chung’s credit that the final descending chords are undone in a moderate tempo (as per the score) finishing off this 24 min. long epic with poise and exemplary restraint. The rest of the performance goes equally well. The two middle movements are not too far from the norm in tempo and dynamic contrast, providing a nice respite from the burden of the mundane life depicted in the previous movement. In the Urlicht mezzo soprano Petra Lang sings with a voice that is aptly weighty and spiritual. The Finale is rendered very broadly clocking nearly 38 min. But Chung fills up the void in this long movement with many fine details. Again, his former experience in the French repertoire must have helped achieve the level of concentration and refinement that are so well on display in this recording. Under his baton, the Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra literally burnishes, glows, and rocks in the apocalyptic conclusion. One final Note. If the symphony’s ending right after the chorus cuts out sounds somewhat anticlimactic, Chung’s slight down-scaling of the dynamics herein is a stroke of genius! As in Otto Klemperer’s celebrated EMI recording and Claudio Abbado’s razor sharp Chicago version on DG, his emphasis seems to be on the main climax, i.e., the chorus & orchestra combined that precedes the pure orchestra passage. Here, aided by the outstanding singing from the chorus and soloists all of whom sing like Angles, and the finely tuned orchestra, he achieves a state of true exaltation and elevation. Chung’s arguments is then, what follows after such an apotheosis should be a ’wrap-up’ rather than another ’ramp-up’. He has done just that quite nicely. The recording sound tops the previous effort in Mahler First with a wide dynamic range and open sound stage that adds to the scale and scope of this mammoth symphony. It was recorded at the acoustically dry and taxing Art House Hall, but led by Michael Fine, the recording producer of the Seoul Philharmonic, the DG engineers have done themselves proud. Alas, as in most recordings the organ rather weak although the low & high tam tam, bell are well audible. I can’t wait for the next installment in the Chung/SPO/DG series!"

Offline barry guerrero

I've heard some brief excerpts of Chung doing var. Mahler with the Dresden Staatskapelle, and they sound great. I wish this series would alternate between the two orchestras. I would love a good Dresden M3.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk