General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

What do you hear these days?

(1/5) > >>

michaelw:
Hello,

There is an Austrian general classics forum (I only occasionally take a look), where they have an interesting and endless thread called “What do you hear just now?”. The people simply report their current taste and listening choice. It's a bit uncoordinated and sums up to thousands of posts.
This is a Mahler board and I think the posts shouldn't spread too far, but I am always curious what other people like to listen too, particularly if these people have some common interest.

So – apart from Mahler – what did impress you during the last days or weeks?

There is no need to make an endless thread out of this, but I want to give it a try.
Of course, only experiences worth noting – in a positive OR negative sense – need to be reported.

Let me start: Last interesting record (apart from Mahler) was the Bartok “Concerto for Orchestra” conducted Michael Gielen. This piece of music was some of by very favourites many years ago, but I haven't played it much for a longer time. Now I got the Gielen CD and it's very clear and expressive. I like it and will review Bartok again.

Michael

Ivor:
  Just heard Bruckner 7 under Masur at the BBC Proms.. He made the very end clearer than I've ever heard before. Very enjoyable eprformance which got a 10 minute ovation. So Bruckner is still in there.

I'm ever buying more secondhand LPs, so I listen to all kinds of stuff.

Ivor

Jot N. Tittle:
This morning the area classical-music radio station--a rarity of sorts in itself--played Schubert's Death and the Maiden as orchestrated by Mahler.

So there. I got Mahler in.

. & '

Casaubon:
I've been listening to Rimsky-Korsakov's "Scheherazade" a lot lately, as well as his "Capriccio Espagnol."  Beethoven's 3rd Symphony is currently playing in my car (Bernstein/NY).  I listen to that about 10x more than just about any other Beethoven.  Brahms' 1st Piano Concerto has been in the rotation quite a bit as well.

Amphissa:
I watched the entire Gergiev/Kirov performance (on DVD) of Glinka's "Ruslan et Lyudmila" one night last weekend. 4 hours. Splendid!

I've been listening to Rakhlin's recording of Gliere Symphony No. 3 "Ilya Muromets" lately. On LP. (The CD transfer sux.) This is a symphony that has the kind of huge scale and orchestral color that it should appeal to anyone who likes Mahler. I love Farberman's recording best, amazingly expansive and rich, but at 92 minutes, not something to put on too often. Rakhlin's is almost as good, and fits on one CD.

I've also been listening to Paderewski's Symphony "Polonia" lately. Another massive work, filled with anger and war and struggle. I'm just now getting familiar with this symphony. Like Suk's "Asrael" Symphony and Gliere's, it's such a big composition that (like Mahler) it just will not do for those folks who are afflicted with short attention span.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version