Author Topic: The Mahler Birthday Dinner  (Read 4858 times)

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
The Mahler Birthday Dinner
« on: July 11, 2009, 05:00:27 PM »
The Gustav Mahler Society of New York celebrated Mahler's 149th birthday on July 7 at Maria's Mont Blanc Restaurant, 315 West 48th Street, in New York City. Over forty members and guests attended and enjoyed a three-course meal. Mrs. Tittle and I chose Herring as the appetizer in the knowledge that Mahler was fond of herring; for the entree she chose the Veal Dumpling a la Viennese, and I the Wiener Schnitzel. She had Apple Strudel for dessert, and I had the Chocolate Torte. All was very good, served in a courteous and timely manner.

Among the notables attending were Peter Horenstein (Jascha's boy), Jerry Bruch, and Gilbert Kaplan. (Lorin Maazel did not show up. Sorry, Barry.) Jerry Fox, who had served as President for the past twenty-one years, was given appropriate acknowledgment and appreciation for his dedicated leadership. Lew Smoley, former Vice-president, is the current President.

If any other Board members were present, they kept the information to themselves.

. & '

Offline barry guerrero

Re: The Mahler Birthday Dinner
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 07:02:58 PM »
Yikes; no wonder Mahler took so many looooooooooong walks, with meals like that   ;)

Barry

john haueisen

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 11:42:30 PM »
I'm sure Mahler would have enjoyed such an occasion.  As I am so often tempted to do, I like to recall a bit of biographical information on Mahler.  He did very much enjoy such dinners, and was frequently reported to be the "life of the party," probably because of his wide knowledge, his wit, and perhaps even his fondness for puns.

And Barry is quite correct that all those long walks did require a caloric intake sufficient to propel him onward.  (At least that would be my rationalization for such a sumptuous meal.)  I wish I lived in an area with sufficient Mahlerians to allow for dinners where we could get together and share thoughts about Mahler.   Well, I'll just have to get along without the calories and enjoy the postings here at the gustavmahlerboard.  Keep the postings coming, Mahlerians!  Mahleria is not reported to have killed anyone.

--John Haueisen

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 03:09:35 AM »
John,

Just for the sake of balance and objectivity, keep in mind the following: while Mahler could indeed be the life of the party, he often times behaved poorly, and very much became a wet blanket at organized social events. He could be moody, self absorbed, and overly sensitive. All of this is very well documented. But hey, let's give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm surely he'd truly appreciate today's adulation of him.  :D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 03:12:58 AM by barry guerrero »

john haueisen

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 12:55:19 PM »
Balance and objectivity are good.  Yes, often Mahler could be a party pooper as well as the life of the party.  But imagine his perspective:  just as we are often amazed at how people can hear his music and fail to react--or not see anything at all in it, Mahler also (like celebrities today) had to respond to inane and banal comments and questions that would drive nearly any artist to despair. 

On the whole, he probably would have enjoyed the dinner for the sake of having friends and many of his favorite foods in abundance.

--John H

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 09:36:19 PM »
Yikes; no wonder Mahler took so many looooooooooong walks, with meals like that   ;)

Barry

An appetizer, a salad, meat and potatoes, and dessert hardly exceed a standard meal (outside the monastery walls).

Now back in Mahler's day, a celebratory dinner could go on for eight courses. Not in Iglau, mind you, but among Society in Vienna--you know, the box-seat set at the Hofoper.

But as you point out, Barry, Mahler's behavior--gustatory and otherwise--could be quite irregular and unpredictable. And, as John has acknowledged, having to tolerate fools was no doubt a factor. Didn't Mahler wear a T-shirt that had printed on it "I see fools--they are everywhere--and they don't know they are fools"? (See H-LdLG, vol. IV, p. 2689.)

. & '

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 11:44:48 PM »
"On the whole, he probably would have enjoyed the dinner for the sake of having friends and many of his favorite foods in abundance"

Of course!  He simply didn't live long enough to get his life's work done, so he never really had the time to just sit back and enjoy the fruits of his labor. Even still, there were plenty of examples of him soaking in the adoration of fellow colleagues. The main thing is, YOU guys had a great meal and a great time. I wish I could have been there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk