Author Topic: Tony Duggan gives two big thumbs up for the Rattle/BPO/EMI M9th  (Read 5747 times)

Offline John Kim

Tony Duggan gives two big thumbs up for the Rattle/BPO/EMI M9th
« on: February 19, 2008, 11:54:54 PM »
I have never read such a rave review from him:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2008/Feb08/Mahler9_Rattle_5012282.htm

Let's hope the sonics are as good as what we hope and better than what we've heard on iTunes.

John,

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
Re: Tony Duggan gives two big thumbs up for the Rattle/BPO/EMI M9th
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 12:08:04 AM »
Per Tony's review:

"When I first wrote my Mahler recordings survey for this work some years ago I ruthlessly concluded that there were five absolutely outstanding versions on record, the crème de la crème, that address the work in slightly different ways but none of which I would ever wish to be without. These were great recordings conducted by Walter (Sony SM2K 64452 his second version), Klemperer (EMI 5 67036 2), Horenstein (Vox CDX2 5509 his only studio version), Barbirolli (EMI (72435679252) and Haitink (Philips 4622992). The most recent of these was Haitink’s from the 1970s and whilst there have been other excellent recordings of the Ninth released since then (Boulez and Abbado on DG spring to mind as superb) there have been none that I would quite place among what I consider to be the five elect.  Until now."

Well this statement alone would be reason enough for me to avoid the new Rattle M9.  ???  Certainly Tony and I have different tastes in M9.  Of course, I previously downloaded the Rattle from iTunes. 
Scott

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 04:55:31 AM »
I've been listening to the download a bit more. It really is a very good performance. I especially like the pacing and playing in the fourth movement. I just hope that the sound is decent on the actual cd's. I've not not been very happy with the sound on previous Rattle/Berlin Mahler recordings.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 07:11:30 AM »
It would have been really nice if EMI had prepared separate hybrid SACDs for the Rattle/BPO Mahler recordings. It's pity they chose not to go with the SACD format. If only they can realize how much more the sound improves in this format....

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 04:05:50 PM »
Wow...what a positive review from Tony!  Yes, it is a great M9 indeed...I have a feeling the sound will be excellant  :)  I agree with Barry that the 4th movement is a highlight in terms of pacing and playing.

--Todd

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 07:51:16 AM »
I'm also really sore that EMI didn't hold off on their Rattle/Mahler box until the new 9th was issued, and include it in the box instead of the earlier Vienna one. What were they thinking?

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 07:39:43 AM »
"It would have been really nice if EMI had prepared separate hybrid SACDs for the Rattle/BPO Mahler recordings. It's pity they chose not to go with the SACD format. If only they can realize how much more the sound improves in this format.... "

Truthfully, EMI Classics is fighting its life, and there is no clear leadership at this time. They are completely at the mercy of the new owner of EMI. Some say that he paid too much for the operation, even with the Beatles catalog included. While many smaller labels have been moving forward with SACD hybrids, it's my impression that the "majors" are waiting to see what comes of the HD-DVD vs. BluRay battle. They're probably envisioning a time when they can offer hi-rez recordings at a more affordable cost, as well as the ability to offer bonus video goodies (rehearsal footage, interviews, etc.). For the time being, expensive hybrid issues will probably remain in the domain of the more "boutique" labels. Personally, I would have been happy if EMI had just given the entire Rattle Mahler cycle the "Great Recordings Of the Century" remastering treatment. They didn't even do that much. Again, WHAT were they thinking!?! I hardly know anyone who has bought that particular box. And Rattle's Sibelius box?    .     .    .    let's not even "go there".

Offline John Kim

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 07:56:31 AM »
Barry,

Toshiba recently announced that they will withdraw the HD-DVD format soon. So, BluRay has won the long battle.

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 07:43:10 PM »
www.rattlemahler.com

has sound clips of Rattle's new EMI recording of M9th. They sound pretty good, and naturally much better than what I heard on the downloaded file :). So my expectation is high.

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk