Author Topic: Thoughts After Listening to Benjamin Zander/Boston Philharmonic M6  (Read 4393 times)

Offline Michael

• Adagio Appassionato, Addolorato A Niente
    • My Railroad Audio Recordings
   For those of you who do not know, my name is Michael Hansen and I am 17 years old.  I am blind, and I play piano (I also compose for piano, and am starting some works for strings) and cello.  I use the computer via screen-reading software called JAWS for Windows; put simply, the software reads any standard text on the screen in synthesized speech.

I have listened to many recordings of Mahler’s sixth symphony, as it is a symphony that I stumbled across at a very difficult time of my life.  Through all of the different recordings I have ingested, I have heard time and time again that Benjamin Zander’s Boston Philharmonic Mahler 6 is, to put it in the words of one Amazon.com reviewer, “the one to get.”
   Before I go any further, I would like to thank Benjamin Zander and his assistant, Stephanie Stetson.  When I contacted Mr. Zander after months of trying to find the recording online—and turning up with only used versions available on Amazon.com at sky-high prices—Mr. Zander graciously offered to send me a copy.  This after I contacted asking where I could buy the album!  His assistant, Stephanie Stetson, kept in contact with me and took time out of her day to copy the two-disc set for me, and sent it to me via priority mail.
   The album arrived on July 11, 2009; this also happened to be the day that I found out that my grandfather—who was in the hospital battling a respiratory disease—had decided to discontinue all treatment.
   So, to say that the stage was set for a listening of Mahler 6 when the package from Mr. Zander arrived would be understating it.

Okay, so on to the music itself.

In The first movement balances Mahler’s difficult tempo marking (energetic fast tempo, but not too much) well.  I also heard many details in the strings, percussion—and sometimes even the winds—that I had previously not heard before.  I think that the close-up recording really helps to highlight these subtleties, something that I wish I heard more of in other recordings.  The timpani rhythm—the fate motif—is played a bit slower than I would have expected given the tempo of the movement, but I think it is definitely more noticeable—and that is good, given that the fate motif is a big part of this work.

The Scherzo starts out with a somewhat energetic tempo that suggests some hint of optimism, but as the movement goes on it becomes clearer that optimism is not the name of the game.  Mr. Zander does not fiddle about with the tempo drastically as Leonard Bernstein did, but I have been led to believe that Bernstein and some others really interject their own dramatic tempo markings—if you will—into the Scherzo.  The message is still brought across by the rapidly-changing meter: when first listening to this movement under Mr. Zander, I thought of an irregular heartbeat.  Again here as well, I noticed details that the close-up recording relays faithfully.  As would be expected, a more detailed recording means that unwelcome details are also noticeable.  This is not the case in Mr. Zander’s Boston Philharmonic recording, however, and that makes the orchestra’s achievement even more remarkable.

The Andante is a passionate expression of love, faith, and hope.  Here, we gain respite from the pounding rhythms of the first two movements, and yet the tragic inevitability is still noticeable.  The movement is heartbreakingly beautiful, and I can imagine where Alma Mahler said that the symphony first shows Mahler “in full life and flower.”  While that may be the case in parts of the first movement, we get a really good look at Mahler’s love of life here in the Andante.  The movement is not played like an adagio, which I think was Mahler’s intentions.  The Andante is a simple expression of love and hope—a song without words, as one critic put it.  As was the case in the first two movements, the playing is flawless.

The Finale’s first note is accompanied by a crack on the bass drum that brings the listener crashing back to reality.  It is as though the Andante was a dream, and in the Finale the hero is awake now and fully aware of what is taking place.  The build-up to the first hammer blow is not as energetic and hopeful as some interpretations I have heard (Solti comes to mind), but Zander’s interpretation is more realistic and it fits this performance better.  By the way, the hammer blows are excellent!  Even though I knew the hammers were coming, I could not repress a shutter when they came.  The build-up to the second hammer blow was nice and slow—growing in intensity.  The interlude after the second hammer blow (with the violin solo) has a certain dreamlike quality to it—before reality goes marching on.  One thing I noticed was that in the early part of the movement, the timpani sounded as though it was on the right side; when the final march theme resumes after the interlude, the timpani sounds as though it is once again on the left side—as was the case in the previous three movements.  I remember reading somewhere that the sixth requires two timpani players, and if so…I can imagine how interesting it would have sounded in the concert hall to have the two timpani on opposite sides of the stage.  After the march subsides, Mr. Zander slows the orchestra down, which is a very good touch—every note brings home the message of inevitable fate and reality.  The third hammer blow is, as would be expected, a smashing (pardon the pun) success.  The movement then fades into an elegiac coda—probably one of the most heartfelt renditions I have heard yet.  The last chord is shattering in power, but it also gives a sense of closure to the piece—and to the tragedy contained within.

After having listened to the symphony in its entirety for the first time, on a very personal level I feel cleansed of some of the grief associated with my grandfather’s impending death.  On a more universal level, listening to Mr. Zander and the Boston Philharmonic play this piece is a very intimate, electrifying experience.  The listener lives the tragedy portrayed in this symphony—instead of just seeing it happen to someone else.  As I have stated numerous times before, the orchestra—made up of professionals, amateurs, and students—goes beyond themselves in this performance, and that makes the accomplishment that more special.

Again, I would like to publicly thank Benjamin Zander and his assistant, Stephanie Stetson, for their kindness and encouragement with my musical endeavors.

I have one last comment: I have found my favorite Mahler 6 in Mr. Zander’s Boston Philharmonic performance; I truly believe that this interpretation is Mahler’s Mahler Sixth.

Best regards,
Michael Hansen
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 01:32:15 AM by AMTK62 »
Michael

Offline barry guerrero

Michael,

That is quite a story. And while I don't share your same level of enthusiasm for this particular performance (there are some good things about, indeed), I'm none the less glad that it brings you such joy. Your comments about the scherzo were particularly interesting to me. I think that you might also like David Zinman in this particular movement, as he also doesn't make lots of sudden and startling shifts with the tempo (frankly, I like Rattle's handling of the scherzo, which is very contrasty). I can't, however, go along with Zander's insistence of reinstating the third hammerstroke. I believe that Mahler deleted it for purely musical reasons, and that it had nothing to do with the, "three strikes, you're out", "boogie man of fate" business that Alma brought up. Still, regardless of what I think, there will always be those who reinstate the third blow for whatever reasons. Therefore, I don't want to make too much of that particular issue. Anyway, thank you for sharing your story with us, and I'm glad that it had a happy ending. Best of luck to you in all of your endeavours.

Barry
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 09:51:07 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline Michael

Re: Thoughts After Listening to Benjamin Zander/Boston Philharmonic M6
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 01:27:26 AM »
Hi Barry,

I think my view about the third hammerblow would change if there was more out there on the musical soundness of Mahler's decision; unfortunately, Alma's version is the one that most people hear and cite, so it does leave some room for question.  I suppose that it goes back to Alma's reliability...and therefore it will no doubt be debated for as long as Mahler's music is played.

As far as other performances of M6...I do like Zinman, Bernstein (New York Philharmonic prefferably, but a remastered DG version from the 1989 release would probably sound good too), Rattle, Tilson-Thomas, and, of course, Barbirolli.

Thank you for your reply,
Michael
Michael

Offline Damfino

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 02:31:55 AM »
I have never heard a performance of Mahler's sixth which included the third hammerstroke. Indeed, I have never heard a Zander performance. I am curious as to why the earlier BPO performance is to be preferred over the Philharmonia one?

Offline Russell

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 08:41:50 PM »
Michael--Many thanks for sharing your incredible and touching story, as well as for your insights into the M6 and Zander's recording.  I'm glad you were able to finally get a copy of it, and in such a unique way!  (The M6 holds a special place for me as well, as it's the work that got me into classical music (and Mahler, of course) in the first place.  I just happened to hear the Leinsdorf/BSO recording on the radio one day many years ago, and was immediately awestruck.)  All the best to you in your future endeavors!

Russell

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 11:48:26 PM »
Damfino,

My impressions are this: the Philharmonia/Telarc performance is better recorded, but the earlier Boston Phil. one is just "gutsy-ier" sounding. Between the two, I actually prefer the Boston Phil. one also. But it's a very low level recording, so you really have to turn it waaaaaay up to make it sound good (typical James Mallinson recording).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 12:12:43 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Michael

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 03:35:24 AM »
Hi guys,

Thank you for your words of encouragement!

While the Philharmonia M6 is definitely better-recorded, I like the live Boston recording because (1) it is an "underdog" orchestra going beyond themselves, (2) it is a live recording [you get that feeling that something is going to happen], and (3) because of the better hammer-strokes.  You could go eather way about the type of sound that Mahler wanted...and, honestly, I can see a valad argument for his using a large wooden box--open on one end--instead of just finding another timpani crate to replace the shattered one (I wonder why that was?  LOL!).

My mother and I were listening to the Zander/Boston Philharmonic Finale of M6 in the car today while running erands.  When the first hammerblow came, Mom asked me, "Did someone just get shot or something?"  When the second hammer came a few minutes later, she said, "Gees!"  Of course I was loving every minute of it.  ;-)
Michael

Offline John Kim

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 03:45:55 AM »
I too prefer the BPO version. The Telarc recording sounds better but it is a dull, meandering performance.

I also got to talk to Mr. Zander before I ordered the BPO recording; after the chat he sent me a copy with his own autograph :D.

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk