Author Topic: James Ross/Yale Symphony Orchestra Mahler Ninth CD (1993)  (Read 3085 times)

Offline John Kim

James Ross/Yale Symphony Orchestra Mahler Ninth CD (1993)
« on: March 12, 2010, 06:55:46 AM »
I picked up this one at a local used store tonight.

I have never known this recording existed, nor have I heard of the name of the conductor. It was recorded at Yale in 1993, so it must have been produced locally by the music department. I've finished the 1st movt. Although not perfect, the orchestral members, mostly the students, play with commitment and dedication. The recording has a very wide dynamic range with strong bass and deep stage. Ross' conducting strikes a right balance in keeping everything move along and engulfing raw, emotional elements at the same time. The Yale brass has particularly strong presence throughout; the horns are sometimes too prominent while the trumpets are buried under the trombones and horns at some of the crucial moments.

I have yet to listen to II-IV but I am already much impressed with the excellence of this recording.

Does anyone have this CD?

John,

Offline Michael

• Adagio Appassionato, Addolorato A Niente
    • My Railroad Audio Recordings
Re: James Ross/Yale Symphony Orchestra Mahler Ninth CD (1993)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 12:18:09 AM »
Please let me know what you think of the other three movements.  I for one love the idea of young people playing mahler.  LOL
Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk