Author Topic: Editions of Mahler 7 and the list of errata by Mahler  (Read 3572 times)

Offline SPrim

Editions of Mahler 7 and the list of errata by Mahler
« on: January 30, 2015, 02:16:29 AM »
Hi all,

I have a question regarding the various editions of Mahler's Seventh Symphony.

This is my understanding of the three editions of Mahler's Seventh Symphony. The first edition was published in 1909 by Bote & Bock in Berlin. This edition supposedly had a lot of errors (more than 800), because Mahler was in American and could not participate in the process of printing. Mahler provided a list of errata, and the publisher printed it. When Erwin Ratz from the International Gustav Mahler Gesellschaft published a revised version as the first Critical Edition in 1960, these errors were corrected, but the critical report only pointed out changes other than these errors. Hans Redlich's edition of this symphony, published in 1965, also corrected the errors but did not incorporate the changes made by Mahler since the publication of the first edition.

In order to really know the difference between the first edition and Ratz's edition, I have been looking for the list of errata. Does anyone know if any source or later edition contains this list?

Thank you very much.

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Editions of Mahler 7 and the list of errata by Mahler
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 05:00:19 AM »
This would be a good question for David Hurwitz at Classicstoday.com. He's very interested in printed scores and editions. Although I'm not a huge fan of Claudio Abbado's Mahler in general, I know that he dealt with this very issue - writing corrections to M7 into his own score.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk