Author Topic: 96 years ago today...  (Read 3900 times)

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
96 years ago today...
« on: May 22, 2007, 08:04:05 PM »
On May 22, 1911, Gustav Mahler was laid to rest at Grinzing, next to his elder daughter.

Paul Stefan described the scene:

"Mahler had wished for a simple burial unaccompanied by word or music, and people were thus deprived of their 'spectacle.' In order to deter those who 'wanted to have been there,' and also because the small church and cemetery of Grinzing did not allow it, both were closed, and admission was allowed only to the holders of entrance-cards. And even then many who had them were obliged to wait outside the church. Thence the coffin was carried through streaming rain to the burial-place, and immediately upon arrival interred without further ceremony. The crowd, still many hundreds, was scarce able to speak. The rain had ceased, a wonderful rainbow became visible, and a nightingale's voice was heard through the silence. Then fell the last clods, and all was over."  [Gustav Mahler: A Study of His Personality & Work (1912), p. 119.]

Indeed, as Klimt said, when Mahler departed from Vienna for New York, "Vorbei." Yet Mahler had believed otherwise. And Mahler was right.

Coincidentally, it was Wagner's birthday. I doubt that anyone noticed.

. & '

Ivor

Re: 96 years ago today...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 06:11:15 AM »
Interesting; my kind of post  ;)

Incidentally,i played no.7 last year on the centenary of its first performance.

Ivor

Offline barry guerrero

Re: 96 years ago today...
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 02:04:30 PM »
Yeah, Mahler's dieing sucks. But, everybody has to go sometime. 30 more years with Alma might have been worse. Also, Mahler would have felt obliged to write ugly, atonal horror shows. It was too early for him to make a career in Hollywood. Korngold was young enough to go do that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk