Author Topic: Mahler's Eighth's Berlin premiere?  (Read 11883 times)

Offline waderice

Re: Mahler's Eighth's Berlin premiere?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 05:16:29 PM »
I'm not wanting to question Sybille Werner as an 'authority' but I do find it slightly hard to believe that Walter conducted M8 in Vienna in five different years prior to the Anschluss, yet this fact isn't better known in a 'common knowledge' way. I'm wondering if she could possibly mean M2 instead (?).

Barry, since this issue seems to be of significant concern to you, why don't you contact Sybille at the Facebook Mahler Group (titled "Mahler Forum" and request to join).  The group is moderated by Mischa Horenstein (Jascha's nephew or grandson, I forget which).  I don't know if you're on Facebook or not, but this is one contact point.  Or, go directly to Sybille's web site (http://www.sybillewerner.com/ and e-mail her directly, asking your questions/express your concerns as to the facts you feel ought to be more common knowledge.  Good luck, and let us know what you find out from her.

Wade
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 06:01:15 PM by waderice »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 09:37:21 PM »
It's not a significant concern to me; I just have trouble understanding why Walter would perform M8 so often prior to the Anschluss, then suddenly drop the work. But thank you for the links.

Offline SPrim

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2015, 01:17:32 AM »
It's a very good question, and I would like to see if I can find some answers or at least other scholars' views.

Offline AZContrabassoon

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2015, 02:20:30 AM »
Walter did indeed conduct the 8th quite a bit, including the Viennese premier in 1912. In 1953 he was asked to conduct it in Munich, which he would have loved to do, but failing health and inadequate preparation time made him decline, which is a great loss since we can assume it would have been recorded and we'd have another Walter performance of Mahler to study. His performances of the 8th were always received with "ecstatic reviews", according to Walter's biographers, Ryding and Pechevsky.

Walter conducted all of the symphonies and Das Lied regularly, spending less time with 3, 6, and especially the 7th, which he only did one time in 1920.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2015, 04:10:59 AM »
Thank you. It's a bit of a mind bender to me, but I'll shut my trap at this point. Do you know how many, if any, of those M8 occasions were actually with the Vienna Phil.?

I've seen a list of ALL the Mahler performances the Vienna Phil. had done up to some point in the late '80s or early '90s, and I certainly don't remember seeing a Walter M8 on there. 

Offline waderice

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2015, 01:59:37 PM »
Thank you. It's a bit of a mind bender to me, but I'll shut my trap at this point. Do you know how many, if any, of those M8 occasions were actually with the Vienna Phil.?

I've seen a list of ALL the Mahler performances the Vienna Phil. had done up to some point in the late '80s or early '90s, and I certainly don't remember seeing a Walter M8 on there.

Barry and all,

Here is a URL to the Vienna Philharmonic's performance database:  http://www.wienerphilharmoniker.at/converts/archive.  Most, if not all, of your questions should be answered through querying it.  Be careful to make sure the correct choice is made among the pop-ups you get, for various composers' works in different keys will show.  For example, if you type in "Symphonie Nr. 7", numerous symphonies numbered 7 will show, but make sure to select Mahler's in E minor.  Symphony No. 8 will show up as "Symphonie Nr. 8, Es-Dur, "Symphonie Der Tausand".

Wade

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2015, 02:40:13 PM »
Cool. But I have a pop-up blocker, so I'm not getting any pop-ups. If I type in "Symphonie nr. 8", I get everone's symphony nr. 8 - just as you warned. If I add "Mahler" to that, I get everything that Mahler ever conducted. There's nothing on the screen for me to 'select'.

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2015, 03:54:35 PM »
Most pop-up blockers can be turned off temporarily to allow you to use the desirable features on a website. The one on Firefox will even remember which websites you decide are "safe" and will remain 'off' permanently for those, while remaining 'on' for all the others.

James
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 06:26:51 PM by James Meckley »
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline AZContrabassoon

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2015, 04:42:14 PM »

I had the wrong dates: it was in 1921, on September 21, 22, 24, 28. Then again in 1933 and 1936 with the Vienna Symphony Orchestra given at the Konzerthaus. They didn't do the 8th again until Scherchen did in in 1951.

Besides the Vienna Philharmonic archives, the Konzerthaus.at  archive is quite interesting.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2015, 08:17:39 AM »
Thank you. That makes more sense. In all seriousness, I don't how to temporarily turn off a pop-up blocker. I'm not sure I want to know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk